flathead catfish water temps

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rcbbracing, Apr 28, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay ive heard a lot of different things about this and thought maybe you guys could shed some light on the topic for me....what water temp do shovelheads really start feeding enough to target them in reservoirs? I was told 50degrees and then another guy said his team doesnt target them until 53....I mean ive tried the last couple times out but was just curious if i was wasting my time with the water temps never surpasing 53....so what is a good water temp to start fishing for em guys? THANKS!

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It seems 60 to 62 deg is the number in MO but there are the odd fish that get caught in colder. Even caught one in a spring confluence in the dead of winter 52 deg water. But from most what I have read and learned talking to some very good flatt fishers, 60deg is the target temp they start feeden good. I dont even start fishen for flats in the MO river till it hits 65 deg. I am better off fishen for blues till it warms up some lol

3. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    60 is what I've been told too.

Vector

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I caught my first flat of the year in 53 degrees. They

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Flatheads are moving and feeding now. It might be that your fishing the wrong body of water or the wrong location. I know some of the local lakes that you fish holds flats but not a large number of them. If I were you I would target Water with better populations of them. Even then Patience is key, for there are many factors in flathead fishing. I have fished lakes and rivers night after night, knowing that it is a good spot with all the right factors in play and still no fish for nights on end. It will pay off though one night if you have the patience to set em out. I have learned that Patience is def. the biggest thing you have to learn about flathead fishing. Or a good guide! :smile2:

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah i know im fishing the wrong waters lol....wish i lived closer to a better population but im trying to make due with what i have...Knox lake holds small numbers of flats...ive seen the pics down at the tackle shop...several in the teens, one in the 30s and one that was like 42...boy was odnr freaked out when they came to inspect the 42lb catch...they didnt stock flatheads in knox...lol...I know who did tho...haha....anyway i also know charles mill holds some too...They bodies of water are close to home and just for a night out im stuck with em...Im hoping to plan some decent trips this year out to tappan and clendening tho! THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS!

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Out here on the Colorado River on the AZ/CA border in the middle of the desert the water temp never gets below about 54 and will get up to the mid 80's+ during the summer, the flats are just now starting to hit with the water temp at 68 to 70 depending were you are or what spot your at on the river sometimes I think it's more what time of the year it is or maybe what the difference is from its coldest or how much of a temperature rise is from its coldest to its warmest:confused2::wink:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ya stirred the pot ...60* and yer into em here good if ya have paid yer dues and can find them..they start moving hard lookin fer vittles... they are just starting to run here OH-YEAH:cool2:GREAT INFO here guys!

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    on a personal note been looking at this ...difference in geographey.etc...yer body of water... oh yeah its a majior issue....knowing yer surroundings and body of water ....learning Flatts habbits is a must....where is Rollo at ????he is well versed and taught me more then he will ever know(LOL)....I think I could type fer hrs on my personal study ....I want to expand my horizions and fish other far way bodies of water so fer the last yr I have been reading alot on what everyone said...if ya start diong the same yer gonna be amazed and fer me still baffled at alot of things tried and true from experience..cause what werks here might not werk there ...like I said Rollo where ya at!(LOL)

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've noticed that before to Dale. When other states are trying to get above 55-60 deg hoping for a flathead bite, our water is pushing 70's and they are just getting started moving. I figured it about like you did, it's the fact that it doesn't cool down as much here so they are waiting for the degree of change not necessarily a ceartain temperature.

11. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i live in toledo ohio and fish near waterville ohio.started fishing flats at 52% and had some sucsess!

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio

I live in Toledo, Ohio. I fish near Waterville. I started when the water temp was 52 degrees, with some success! :smile2:

Jim dandy likes this.
  13. Catfish Whisperer419

Catfish Whisperer419 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'm in toledo I go when 50's but 60's I have better bite

14. Outlaw08

Outlaw08 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This might shed some light on the subject for you. [youtubevid]gn7JHBQqWRA[/youtubevid]

if not maybe this one will [youtubevid]jm35fIjJBzY[/youtubevid] I am looking for one with 50 -60 degree water for you.

I found this of our very own catfish scotty, but, I do not know what the water temp was.. Scotty if you would like to que in please. [youtubevid]doRC_p7SY-w[/youtubevid]

15. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Rob if I remember right that was in the first part of march .

We was fishing close to a warm water power plant discharge area the dumped into the lake ,,, The main lake water temps was around 40 degrees and the spot we was fishing in was around 60 degrees and had alot of bait in the area so it was like a buffet for the flatheads and channels .

we hit it just right ,,, well kinda a very strong cold front went threw when we first got to the lake it was sunny and warm 50's and the front hit with hell bound effects windy ,,,, cold ,,, sleet and snow infact it snowed around 6 to 8 inches that afternoon threw the night .

was a very unnerving drive home I tell ya uggggggggg ...but the storm really turned the fish on we caught several big channels that night also .

bait was small to medium shad and gills ,, live and cut .

Also I want everyone to know I didnt mean to come off so arrogent or cocky it was a inside joke for a buddy of ours that decided not to go lol we was just pokin fun at him is all ..

but late winter and early spring until water temps break over the mid 60 degree range I seem to do better on flatheads with small to medium baits .

cool thread guy's much appr with all the reports brothers !!!!!

16. doubleduece

doubleduece New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice videos never seem them in that state before very interesting

17. Outlaw08

Outlaw08 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL I seen the thumbnail on the video and said "oh hell it's Scott" and I knew it was going to have some nice fish in it. Anyway thanks for the reply man and I won't forget about that fishing trip you said we were taking later on this year. "or maybe that was a dream" umm nope you said it.. see ya then LOL :roflmao:

18. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    40/55 degrees is the best,over 60 it slows down...my own experience.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we have caught them down to the upper 30*water temp, in fall. in spring, i wait till it hits 50-55 water temps though. they can be caught out of this range but very slow action.