flathead catfish time??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by eric2006, Dec 19, 2009.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    when do u guys start going after the flatties?? is spring the best time for the channel cats??

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I start Chasing Flatheads when the water temp reaches 50 in the spring! As for the channel cats they can be caught year round! Spring and fall is when I do my best though with both Species!

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    on the nose kip!

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I got to agree with Kip on that one. Right on the money Bro...

5. GMRcatman

GMRcatman Member

State:
    Ohio
    I couldn't agree more.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio I usualy dont start trying to catch flatheads untill mid april, Like Kip said that is usually when the water is in the 50 degree Mark...Kip has learned alot about flathead fishing in just a few short years, and gives great advise...In fact, I consider him one of the more knowlagable flathead fisherman, here...Why because he has learned from being out there, and he has learned from the information given here.

Southern states you can prbably catch flatheads year round.

I think most flatheads that are caught in the dead of winter hear in Ohio are snagged..If you find a wintering hole you can do alot of damage by snagging these fish.

But I dont really start to get excited about Ohio flatheads untill the first part of May, April can bring so many temperature changes that the fishing can be very un predictable