Flathead catfish time yet in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by capt theory, Mar 10, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    anyone run into some flats yet? im gonna give some flattie spots ive been scouting all winter a try this weekend. the only reason im trying so early is because of this crazy weather. im already seeing mass shad and sandbass migrations in the spots that usually start up in early april or so. i figure if its already past 55 degrees those flatheads should be working their stomping grounds. good luck to everyone if you get out this weekend...

2. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    This will be my first week looking for flatheads. Ill let you know.

3. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Think It Would Be, But We AINT Had Much Rain. If YOU Were To Go Hit The Log Jams. Id Say There Just Hanging Out In There Waiting For The Rain.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well ducain and i went to our honey hole this afternoon from 3 to 5pm. and got skunked. water temp was only 47* so we figure about another week, week 1/2. we will give it another try.

5. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah I figure I will wait about another week or two if the weather stays fairly warm and the water heats up and hopefully we will get some RAIN :crying:

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    No flatheads for me to date. Wont be long though.

7. dobbie

dobbie Member

we fished the Verdigris river up by big creek Sat. night.We put out jugs and limblines.We caught 7 flahheads and 6 blues.The biggest flathead was 35# and 12#.We used perch for bait.The fish didn't bite very good during the day.We had fun except for the storm that hit about midnight.

8. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    havent fished for flats alot, or havent had much luck with them...just wondering why you guys are saying it will be better if it rains, just trying to learn something,
    Thanks,
    Mike

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    also, rains would bring current, which would bring more food for the forage fish, which would bring in more forage fish, and create a feeding frenzie for the cats

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    went down this weekend with hotrod98. we cought a few blues , a few mississippi whites . the sand bass were up behind the lock, throwing eggs, folks on the ark. know its sand bass time . only hab time to set one line . only cought above mentioned . my frend was there already, his flattie lines were out ( out all winter) he lives at brewers bend. friday he cought two. both went over 50# i helped with those two. last week he cought one 72# pix can be seen at brewers bend camping aria. water was 57 degrees , almost murkey we cought most all in 20 ft of water. leading on to flats, i havent fished there in 20 yrs . but im going back, spanyard creek bridge wasthe place for bait ( shad) some at the dam at greenleif , river axcess oh we locked down to fish at the gen at lock# 15 was about 12 min boath ways . kinda fun . atten. were verry nice.

11. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well i ran into my first one saturday. 15 pounds on a huge cut shad head. now im gonna have to say this flat had absolutly no signs of spawning. to be honest with you i dont see spawning flatheads until late may early june. i have a specific hole thats a spawning ground for them and at that time ill catch flats that are beatin up and skinny if their male and swollen and bloody if their female. typically the channels and blues start first and the flatheads start a litte bit later. at least from my catching experience. none the less though, the water temps are at and above 55 degrees so that means they are just starting to move out of their wintering holes.

12. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks, i figures it had something to do with access to the rivers,
    Thanks again,
    Mike

13. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Tony,You are hit the bullseye, Rain brings Current,Food and all that but My Brother you forgot the last part (for fish under 10lbs) HOT OIL!!!!!Yum-Yum,,,...,,,:p

14. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Here in northern Okla. we have not seen enough rain to even start trying for flats NO WATER NO FISH