Flathead Catfish that drop the bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hoopie, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My question is anyone else having this happen to them. My son and I were out fishing just about every time we had a run no matter how long we let it go as soon as we picked the rod up the fish droped the bait. we were using cut and live bait. The only fish landed that nite was a 7 lber. any input?

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds mostly like gar bites to me. If that is the case, move to a knew hole, you will have much better success (or at least less frustrating) if you move.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agrree with alot of the bites being gars...gars are realling feeding right now.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes, here in NE Ohio on the Ohio River with Fresh Cut Shad!!!

My hook up ratio on the Flatheads is only about 10% if that with freah cut Shad.

If I were to wait fer a run I could wait fer days sometimes....LOL!!!

Yes it could be turtles but they seem not too aggressive and peck very lite from what I've seen.

The Shovels will even just sit on a bait in there mouth and not move!!!!!

Opinion: Tight line, when u see a peck pick up the pole and be ready. This maybe up to 15 min. They have more patience then we do, lol. When they peck go for it!!!!! If no peck in 15 min pull the bait slowly and wait 15 again.
    If notta change bait and cast out again.

Sometimes it maybe other small fish....where I fish it only happens rarely, its generally a Yellow.

My PB Flat of 39#s bit like a 6 inch perch. Keep in mind the spawn too.

This will help I think, if it does PM me and I will help u more.

:0a26:

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess I should add that this was happening in different holes also,and at various speeds some were cruisin others not so quick. We had two runs that seem like they were heading to the next county. We use 6500 garcias and gamakatsu octopus hooks. Thanks for the input guys.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a night I had a couple weeks ago in a tournament. Most runs were on cut shad, and what i found out was it was mostly 2 and 3 pound channels that simply would run with the bait, but were either unsure about eating it, or simply couldn't. I downsized my hooks from 8/0 gamus. to 4/0 and used small pieces of cuts.. this is how, i found what we were into. we ended up weighing in 5 channels that night for 36 pounds of weight, hate to know how many missed opportunitys though... keep at em, their feeding habits are weird sometimes....rollo

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The one thing I don`t ever do is use a bait runner when using circle hooks, just let them load up on the rod when using circles.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you can let em load up, or if you use the baitclicker engage the reel before you pick up the rod. this way the rod will still load up, then it's on!

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Chris, Been having the same problem. If I get the bait back it looks like its been smashed in a vice. No teeth marks. The only thing I can figure is they just want to kill it and not eat it.

11. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i hv the same problem sometimes an i hv also found it to be small channels, so to fix that i simply rig up a stink bait rig an drop it out an simply remove those lil runners an its almost as fun too!!!!

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It’s another beautiful night for flathead fishing. The stars are out, the moon is not. A gentle breeze stirs the tules and lightning is flashing in the distance as a monsoon ravages the desert somewhere else far from where you are fishing.

You’re content with your spread; one rod contains a happy bluegill, and the other one a nice size waterdog. Bait clickers are set, and visions of 50 pound flathead are dancing in your head.

All of a sudden, the silence is broken by a quick zip from your bluegill rod. You grab the rod, and the adrenalin starts pumping. With shaking hands you wait for the fish to start moving. With shaking hands you wait for the fish to start moving. With shaking hands… hey, why isn’t the fish moving? So your brain starts racing. Was that a take, or not? It sure seemed like it. Did he drop the bluegill? Why didn’t he come back?

So you pull the rod up slowly, checking for life on the end of it. Nothing. Not even bluegill activity. You wait, and pull up some more. Nothing. So finally, you sigh, and reel up to check on the status of your bluegill.

With wide eyes, you notice that your bluegill is dead. But instead of the tell-tale crushed spines, and sides stripped of the scales that would indicate a flathead hit, you notice that the head has a chunk taken right out of it. Perfectly round, about the size of a nickel or a quarter, just cleanly taken out the skull as if a surgeon had performed a lobotomy and forgot to put the cap back on. Or maybe, the bluegill has been disemboweled through a similar perfect hole taken out of the abdomen.

While you are musing how a flathead could take such a chunk out of a bluegill (considering the jaws of a flathead are made for gripping and crushing) your second rod zips with a take, and this time it’s not stopping. You drop the bluegill from your hands and reach for the second rod, and set the hook. Flathead on!!! You stand up to brace for the fight, and the fight is on.

<H5>But you soon realize that something is odd. There is weight there, and definitely something tugging, but it kind of feels like you are reeling in a big stick. But it’s fighting… sort of, so you keep reeling. When it finally surfaces, you here some strange sound, like bubbling and air being let out of a tire. A loud hiss, and then more bubbling as it sinks back below the water. Finally you bring it up, and are amazed to see… a turtle. A big ole turtle, darn near two feet long from head to tail. And it is hopping mad!!!

<H5>Enter the soft-shell turtle. Very common in the same waters the flathead catfish, and very hungry for your bait, these amphibians will keep you guessing throughout the night

</H5></H5>

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've had that same problem. Fish messing with my bait. I think y'all nailed all the usual suspects.

14. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    YOU COULD BE POSSIBLY OVER HOOKING YOUR BAIT. THIS HAPPENS WHEN YOU HAVE VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR THE HOOK TO GET HOOKED ON THE FISH

15. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Add a small stinger treble to your bait. Sometimes youll get a fish too small or a fish that is reluctant to fully take the bait. The stinger will sometimes persuade them to "hold" on a little longer.

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I too am having the same problem. The bites around these parts have been everything but hook-ups. I don't know what the deal is.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Had the same issue a week ago. Try downsizing your bait and hook? Also dont bury the hook into the bait, leave it exposed. Another thing that I ran into was having a big enough gap in between the hook point and the bait. Not saying that I got every one that bit after fixing these areas but it did mean the difference between catching a few and getting skunked that night. I hope this helps ya out. I personally think that as the water temp gets more on the chiily side, the cats are more apt to take smaller presentations.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Had been having the same problem and went to a 2 hook rig. 8/0 on tip and 5/0 on the bottom or tip. started catching them misses. They were 3 to 4 # channels.

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Channel cat that isn't large enough to swallow your offering or gar.

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have been having sucsess with circle hooks and letting them hook themself.