Flathead Catfish success

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hoopie, May 25, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My question is : How many of you catch multitable flatheads per outing over lets say 20lbs? What type of waters are you fishing?

I fish a small to medium river and I usually only catch 1 over 20 pounds per outing. On one outing 15 years ago we had 4 in the boat from 20 to 45lbs. On another outing I was solo and caught 4 from 15 to 22 lbs.

I am just wondering if one big fish per night out is the norm. I also fish many loctions on the river per outing if possible.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ONE, IF THAT, IM BANK BOUND,, BUT REALY I FISH ONLY 4 HOURS, , I START GETTING BAKIT AT 6, BUT, I THINK IM GONNA START, FISHING FROM 8 TO 4 ISTEAD OF 5 TO 1, I THINK ILL DO BETTER, JUST NEED TO STAY AWAKE

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    This year I have yet to catch one over 12lbs. And I have never caught more than 1 20+ lber in a single outing.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    My last 2 outings I got 2 big flats on each. Last Fri I got 2 over #30. One time last year my dad and I got 8 over #20 in one night, and another time last year a buddy and I got 4 over #20 in one night and 2 of them were #40+. That is a pretty good night considering that our state record is #48. I can usually put a 20+ on the bank when I go though.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    LUCKY SOBS, JUST KIDDING, IM HAPPY FOR YALL, JUST WISH I GOT ONE OR TWO BIGENS A TRIP:wink::angry::roll_eyes::big_smile:

6. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    i am lucky to catch one flat over 20 pounds a year i fish truman lake setting lines only get to do it maybe 2 weekends a year but this weekend i caught a 58 pound and 36 the 58 is the one i am holding in my avatar it was a really good weekend

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My best nights ever have had 4-6 over 20.My biggest to date has been a 38#.That,s 40 odd years fishing.I,ve also had month long dry spells,where I couldn,t buy a fish over 15.I think a lot has to do with the area where you fish and live.Here in PA. a 50# flat gives you a state record,theres a lot of places where that would just be another nice fish.If I can get one over 20 every night I went out,I,d die a very contented and happy man.The big ones are nice,no denying that,but I get a lot of good memories from the so-so nights too,the sights,the smells,the sounds of the river.Whatever makes you happy is whats important.I hope everybody has a five over fifty night,but even if you don,t,you still got some great memories!:big_smile:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I fish a medium sized river, I tend to only fish two to three spots per night cause I think I'm picking spots where a 40+ will be. And I have to burn time waiting for them to hit. I have on occasion caught a 30+ and a 40+ on the same night, but thats rare. Most nights I catch one or two in the teen to 30lb range. Its a good trip for me cause of all the pressure on this river.