Flathead catfish structure

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fishermancat1, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    I read in a few threads here that wherever crappie congregate flatheads are near by. Crappie love structure also. Is it safe to say that if i find a crappie spawning in a location with structure flatheads are in the area and use the same structure themselves. just pondering :that_hurt:

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would say that the flatheads are not using the same cover but they are more using the crappie for breakfast, lunch, and supper! LOL Every year when the crappie run I will fish for flats near where the crappie spawn. The water is muddy in the river system I fish so the crappie spawn very shallow! I mean in inches of water. I will fish 5 hook throw lines leading into and out of the area near the dropoffs. I bait with perch and the bait are in their path to where they feed at night and return in the morning. It works and we catch some really good cat that time of year.

3. xdiver

xdiver New Member

State:
    louisiana
    After the first freeze around thanksgiving here in north La. the water will clear up a little and we can see 4 or 5 feet. The Ops would hide in xmas trees crappie fishermen put out for cover, they feed on the crappie, they blended in perfectly. On one dive trip on lake Bistineau my dive buddy came up on a large opp belly up on a hollow log, he was going to bring it back to the boat and show us what he got and it took off when he touched it. The guy that took us out said he will be there again, we went back again the next day and he was belly up, the inside of the log had brim swimming in it and he was feeding on them. 32 lbs.

4. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Bud, He was just playin possum.

5. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I often fish for crappie to find where the cats are. Usually, if you find a good crappie hole and put out a cat line, you catch some cats.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the advice Fellas,Never tried that before but I will Now !! J.D.

7. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    that was a good question i got a new spot to try. i have a spot where i cast net for crappies for bait.and they're always there no matter what.its right off the bank where this little bush grows out over the water.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Better check with ODNR about cast netting Crappies for bait. I thought is was illegal. However, i agree with an earlier post about the catfish having breakfast, lunch, and dinner with the Crappies.

9. FlattHunter

FlattHunter New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Hey how are you doing

10. Buckmybass4

Buckmybass4 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On the time of day, time of year and location. Most of the time it depends on that certain fishing day.

Thanks JR

11. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Most of the time i have found that if you find a congregation of smaller fish the flatheads will be there for a snack.