Flathead catfish stocking

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by zcat, Jul 30, 2007.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know in the past ohio dnr has stocked flatheads. How can we try to get the dnr to stock them again. They do stock plenty of channel cats.:cool2:

2. fishinguncle

fishinguncle New Member

State:
    South Eastern Indiana
    zcat,
    From what I heard...many state's don't stock flatheads due to the difficulty they have with their cannibalistic nature as fry in the fishery.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Since the last time they did it was back in the 60's I believe, I don't think we stand much chance at getting any stocked in the near future. From what I have read the cost of raising them compared to the survival rate makes it not worth it. Also if they stocked too many in one place I'm sure it would cause havoc in a waterway.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    I think they should be stocking at least 1 or 2 lakes in every region of the state to give anglers a chance at these fish. Most are a native species to the waters anyways. It just seems like there's a huge opportunity here but some of the higher-ups would prefer to fish for walleye or bass.

And if they are worried about cost-efficiency, I know a few people who would be glad to raise a few catfish for free and then release them, myself included.

5. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    My best friend raises every channel cat stocked in OH. He's a full timer @ Senecaville hatchery & I'm pretty sure he said they do all the channel cats. Anyway, I mentioned stocking flats to him once. He just rolled his eyes as if to say, "That's all I @#*$ need! " @ least that's what I think he meant.

6. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    • :confused2: Well im very suprised. This being a catfish based site and no real intrest in having the largest fish in ohio stocked. :roll_eyes: How about this idea. Since flatheads are not stocked. What kind of intrest,would there be to have a limit on them. Yes ,there is a lenth limit. But how about 4,5,6 catch limit. ???​

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i will open the can of worms! lol im a rod and reel guy, that cprs all my big fish....a limit would be good, but i know alot of liners, juggers, bobpolers, etc. that don't seem to consider anything when it comes to rules or laws. i think they have hurt the sport around where i live more than anything,. i would rather see jugging outlawed , bob-poles aren't legal! trotlining outlawed etc. and stiff penaltys for such! the state spends lots of money through the hatchery, stocking program every year, only to release them and say rollo fish two poles and spend all your time on the water! or if you feel lazy run many hooks, jugs and go rest up so you can check them later!!! not right!!!

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not talking about the ethic end of this either, i know people that line for the sport, im talking about the other 3/4 i know that line to simply knife everything.. i think the state needs to start looking at our water systems more closely, rivers and lakes.. i can see a major impact taking place now that their surveys aren't revealing. gonna keep seeing the decline unless they do something soon...rollo

9. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    rollo, it is good to hear the passion in your posts. I wish everyone felt like you do and was willing to speak his or her mind. Reps to you my friend.

10. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One of the biggest problems I see going on right now are the ones setting lines then selling the flatheads to pay ponds. We pulled up to a ramp the other day an a guy was telling up about a 52 pound fish that he sold to a pay pond in Columbus. I know a lot of fish have been taken out of the Scioto south of 270 and the fish end up at pay ponds. We even had a guy ask if he could have the all the flatheads we caught.

11. fishdaddy

fishdaddy New Member

State:
    w.va.
    i love trotline fishing.i only ever keep a few channels to eat ive never killed a flathead that i have caught or sold any either.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'm glad you enjoy our sport with a repect for it. i have no prob. with people like you. i'm glad to hear about the cpr. maybe you can spread the word and convince others liner's to do the same.. if everyone had a preserve our sport nature, we wouldn't have to worry about our waters! i have seen the decline in mature flatheads caught where i live over the yrs. due to harvesting liners!! i hope to get the statistics reversed somehow! thanks for the posts everyone..rollo

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought a person had to have a commercial fishing license to catch and sell fish?

14. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    If we started writing and e mailing the odnr. Maybe we can get some of our thoughts to the ones that make the rules on fishing.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my uncle and a buddy went to an odnr public meeting a few years back to express the same feelings. they just got to speak their peace and were looked at. the only thing the state cares about is revenue... maybe they outta start looking on the river and busting some of these people to get their money. i watched a guy run almost 10 bobpoles last night before dark, i just shook my head. and went on... im tired of them talking statistics and posting there shock numbers!!! i guarentee the fish they shock and bring up are far fewer than 10 yrs. ago!

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sorry guys but for our lakes its the HABITAT, HABITAT & the HABITAT!!!!!

Most but not all of our mud bottom lakes have very little if any spawning structure for the big boys n girls. Most of our lakes are now over 75 yrs old and stumps just don't last forever. Also they are filling with slit/mud.

The State has tried to make improvements in one lake many moons ago (HEARSAY).

Opinion: With the right improvements the State could do it. Without the right habitat no chance, stocking would be futile as far as anything that would last.

???? Ever see the piles of "the Barrels from Hades" that the State tosses away....hmmmmm....in the thousands????:angry:

They have other needs also beside spawning too!

I have yet to hear of a mud bottom lake being taken over by the Flats as they may do in a river.

:wink:

17. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You guys are hitting the nail right on the head.

CC

18. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    If only more of the fishing community viewed flatheads as the predatory game fish that they are, there would and should be more restrictions on how many you could keep. Heck, I'm only permitted to have 25 blue gills in my possession in my state, what's wrong with this picture?

19. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    It's like rollo said, it's all about revenue. Once the state figures out that money can be made by cattering to flat head anglers, the population will be seriously depleated. None of the higher ups in odnr will go for stocking, unless they come up with the idea themselves! That's how our state system works:angry:
    As far as pay ponds go, the very mention of the term appauls me. Here I am, as well as most of you all, spending time actually hunting these animals. Going thruogh the grind. Trying to perfect the craft we love, and a bunch of jokers are taking wild animals out of thier natural environment and selling them to pay ponds so some guy can purchase (or rent) a rod & reel and catch a 50 lb fish for 20 bucks, all in the same day! It's a crappy situation to say the least. If it were deer instead of flatheads, I'll guarantee the state would send in the troops!
    We're going to have to petition the state or something. Any members of the BOC practicing law? We need someone to draw up a petition!

20. catfish caller

catfish caller New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would like to know if i could go with u some day or night fishing with u. i just love the picture u have posted.i don,t live to far from the spot. e-mail me & i will send u some no. thank u.