Flathead Catfish Steaks

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BobbyLee, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Well Dustin (Heavy D) and I were doing a little scouting today and came across what used to be a 40 inch Flathead. I understand some people feel the need to harvest fish. But seemed a shame to harvest a fish of this size. They did'nt waste none, even cut the little bit of meat out of the head.
    Let's all have a moment of silence as we lose a part of our gene pool.

Attached Files:

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    shame not everyone practices CPR on bigger fish like that. Smaller fish for eating, but keep the big fish for the health and sanctity of the sport.

3. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a shame..

BUT it's perfectly legal.

here lies the problem.

4. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think that depends on the body of water..... if I understand this years regulations correctly, on any body of water with an imposed limit on size, you are not allowed to butcher any game fish or be in possesion of fillets while at the body of water(have to wait till ya get home to clean 'em)....

Anyway, I'm in total agreement with BobbyLee, if you're gonna take some fish home to eat, take the small ones.... losing one of the big guys is like losing an old friend, a battle hardened war vet with the scars to prove where he's been and what he's done.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    At least we know that the fish was not a total waste and that it feed someone and their families.

The person who did this broke no laws and it's perfect legal.

Out here in my area people take fish like that and stabb them to death or smash their heads with big rocks in total fear that they will wipe out the sunfish, bass, and shad populations.:angry::embarassed:. Then they are left on the bank or thrown into the woods to rot.

So that's nothing to what I've seen.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep' no fillets on the water. Be legal and take your fish home.. This serves two purposes. The first is to help identify creel limits. The second is so you don't give CPR's something to whine about. lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:
    Question; If I catch a thirty pound flat and a five pound flat that have the same DNA what makes the difference which one I take out of the gene pool? One will end up dying of old age and the other will grow..:wink:

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From the way I understand it at least a female above 20 will have a much larger egg contribution than smaller fish. So the difference would be if you take the 30 pounder the 5 pounder might produce as many eggs in 5-10 years if it lives that long and the 30 is the major egg producer now. I guess if it was a male it would be a different story.

8. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Well if you're trying to promote the sport of fishing(which you should be), throwing back the big ones will give someone else a chance to catch him, and that 30 pounder still has MANY good years still left on him, with decent water quality he can live to 20+ years and gain 5 to 7 pounds per year, so 20 years from now that 30lber could weigh as much as 130+lbs, you're helping to set someone up to catch a monster(might even be YOU!).

I've seen old photos from the mid-late 1800's of people with catfish that had to weigh every bit of 250+lbs, but you can't catch 'em like that anymore because everyone just took them for granted and we don't let 'em live long enough to get that big.

And then there's this thing about respect, anyone who is truely passionate about fishing has no choice but to muster a bit of admiration and respect for a fish that has beat the odds and has managed to live long enough to make it to 30+lbs...

Same DNA maybe... but it's a whole other critter

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    iam with ya man

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is a total shame...bout 5yrs ago i a shovelhead carcass next to a spent firepit next to pleasant hill lake...the shovelhead population in there is low...I mean if you want to keep one or two every now and again so be it as long as they arent big old fish...I know the pain you feel man...atleast they didnt waste the meet tho!

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I say follow the regulations as they are. We have people that use their knowledge and creel studies and don't write the laws to suit their personal feelings. This is better for the fishery. Fish, deer ,chickens or people you have to thin the heard or disease will run rampant, it's natures way. :wink:

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Jack, if the rules in place set some perfect balance then you're correct. Where I'm at, the regulations are a farce for the population we have. What good is a limit you never reach without dynamite?

I'm mad at the public's ignorance. It takes a long time to grow a trophy fish, and longer the farther North you go. The fines are stiff for trophy bucks (10,000 or something and loose your equipment) but if you poach a shovelhead it's like a $200 fine and the rivers here aren't patrolled at all. And yet it took way longer to grow the fish. I know some states are different. This line of thought may seem silly to some people because they just can't imagine only having a couple of small rivers in driving distance.

13. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Its legal here in virginia for flatheads. Only one blue over 32inches may be kept, in my opinion on one of blue or flathead should be harvested. I guess that's why its not up to, i'd make no catfish over 32inchs. But its like one said, atleast it didnt go to waste. I'm big into releasing all big fish, the ONLY big cats and/or stripers i will keep is a fish thats badly hooked. But that happens rarly. But in the pictures of the fish. I could not tell if the belly meat of the flathead was harvested? Pic #1 didnt look like it was, still looked to have skin on the side's, the other two looked like it was gone. FYI, The fillets and cheek meat are good eating, but the belly meat of a flathead is the best in my opinion...

14. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please don't confuse optimism with cluelessness, I know the rivers and lakes will never be the same as they once were, and I know that 1 or 2 big fish being taken isn't going to put a huge dent in the population or the sport....Can we make things better? Who really knows, but one thing I'm 100% sure of is that we CAN make it a whole lot worse if people just continue to pluck any darn thing they feel like out of the water and put it to the knife.

You say the catfish are targeting your favorite fish and could stand to be thinned out a bit? Well to many of us here, catfish ARE our favorite fish. Often times when I hear this very same argument about why we should "thin out" a certain species of large predatory fish, they're using it to bring attention to the "plight" of some non-native introduced "sport" fish(such as trout and some species of bass in certain areas).

Fish and game regulations are often rushed to the table due to deadlines and pressure from special interest groups, media hystaria and the like, rarely are the regulations really adequate and most of the time aren't really even entirely clear, fish and wildlife never really rush to the rescue until it's already too late to do anything about it, how many species have went extinct directly under our noses??? They're people, and they're far from perfect.... Therefore as proponents of the sport who wish to see it continue on for a long long time, not only should we try to keep within the regulations, but try to go a few steps above and beyond.

15. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks for the info, you are right a fish that big does have a little fish taste too. thats one reason we dont harvest the big ones, interesting find though

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    flathead fillets yes yummy yummy ya got kill it , then fillet it , then grill it . little lemon pepper , butter grill for 3 minutes then flip and a couple more minutes dig in for some fine eating :wink:.

this battle about save the whales cracks me up

back in the late 80s here in missouri on lake of the ozarks they starting stocking spoonbills and every year they truely slaughter them thousands of 40 to 100 lbers every year in a river thats between 2 dams and is only 98 miles long , infact seems the last 3 years more spoonbill then ever caught .

now how long do ya think it takes a fish to grow that big ??? long time just like catfish

so I say let the conservation dept start stocking more cats , like they do hybrids ,walleye, trout and other game fish .
    they have the money to do this thats for sure think of all the deer and turkey tags sold not to mention hunting and fishing licesence.

and here in missouri truman and bagnel dam kill more fish tnen you can imagine from time to time .

the sport of bass fishing helps to stock bass right ????

i say stop fighting amoung ourselfs and put more pressure to stock cats if the fishery is in dought .

once again gotta kill it before ya can grill it .

and ive been around so many people in the last few years that say they cpr then see the same people keeping fish over 5 lbs or 20 lbs and up when they catch 1 lol i dont care at all but find it amussing to say the least .

to me whats the difference of the guy who only gets to fish 10 or 20 times a year and keeps a few big ones and probably only catches a 100 or so a year to take home

or the guys that get to fish 250 plus days a year like retired people or giudes that do practice cpr but keep a 1000 or 2000 littles ones a year .

I just hope some dont keep pushing and soon we will only be able to keep 1 fish and only be able to fish with 1 rod !!!!!!! keep pushing and i see this happening some day .

lol wont take long to catch 5 shad or 2 skip jack for a days fishin tho hu :smile2::smile2:

i supose when that happens back to noodelin ,, trout lines ,, limb lines ect for those who like to eat fish . then what will they say ????:eek:oooh:

I say stock them kitties and be enough for all of us to enjoy and catch !!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I say for every 40-lb flathead a man takes from the water he should have to give up one of his testicles.

I bet one is his limit!

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where did I say that? lol :smile2:

I am also an optimist, but being optimistic and stating ones optimism as fact are not the same thing in my book. We have many young readers on here that need to be educated in the real world not a dream world. We need to be pragmatic in our approach to the furtherance of our favorite sport. Following the current state regs is all that is necessary to achieve this goal. :big_smile:

Why some people want to make taking a legal fish a moral crime worthy of castration is beyond me. :roll_eyes:

19. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I dont have a thanks button....So thanks netmanjack for your thoughts..I agree some think it is a crime to take fish that are legal..:smile2:

20. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Jack, no ofense intended, but in post number #11, this is what you said word for word

If I've somehow managed to misread that, then I truely apologize.

Anyway, I do agree, we probably shouldn't try to browbeat anyone who stays within the regulations, all I'm saying is that if a person is truely trying to perpetuate the sport, he or she will set additional regulations for himself, and stick to them.

Also, if you'll look at this years regs, you'll notice that the limit on big flats and blues seems to be shrinking froim year to year..... this year the limit is 1 flathead or blue over 35 inches statewide..... so it seems that Fish and game ARE taking notice, and they do place some degree of importance on the larger fish.