Flathead catfish state record

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by jkm4874ford, Mar 1, 2009.

1. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Was looking through the state fishing guide and was suprised at when the current record was set. 97 Lbs. in 1956. 53 years Wow. How soon till someone tops that. Look at the number of folks that target these every summer. Is a larger one just not out there? Plan on trying for myself, any ideas where?:wink:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yep, thats been up for a long time! I have a feeling it'll get broken in the next couple years. I'll be trying again this year on the Ohio river and Big Sandy river. I had one(I'd say a flattie but not 100% sure) hooked on the Big Sandy last year that I absolutely couldn't budge. After I tried for several minutes the hook popped out.:sad2: I'll be back after them real soon!
    What part of KY are you in?

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It's about time that record is broken. I plan on giving it my best shot this year. That was a good one that you hooked into John. I know it was huge because I could see the bend in the rod from where I was at.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yes it was Ken! I'm glad I had witnesses that night. Makes me feel better knowing that you all seen the rod and the power of that fish!:cool2:
    I'm still upset over that but we know where it was and will be back there before long! I won't let that happen again!!!:wink:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure that fish will still be in that area this year. I also figure we will be back there soon. That is a great location to fish. It is just close enough to the Ohio that there could be some Monsters there.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'd say it will be too. I love that place, I just wonder if the water will ever go down enough to fish there? It might be May before we can get in there. May have to take a boat trip up there...:wink:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure that fish will make someone a new PB.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    good luck getting that fish brother

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I believe that record could fall at any time. I know that we are definetly going after it here in the Western Part of the state. You just never know how big your next Monster could be.:wink:

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks Shane! If I can't get it I just hope its one of my fishing buddies that get it. In this area if somebody else gets it, It'll be sold to a pay lake or eaten...:sad2:

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know there out there I hooked into a world class flathead a few years back. I couldnt do anything with this fish. I had him on for over an for over an hour while we were chasing him around with the trolling motor and never had another flat come close to the fight I had with this one. He ended up getting hung up on the bottom but this fished ripped off more line than any fish times two that I have ever hooked. Two years ago I got a 65# to the boat but he got wrapped around the anchor line and broke 65# test. I have caught many flats up to 50# with the longest time to get him in was 30 minutes but that was only once. I can usually get a good sized flat in within 15 minutes. The state record flat for Indiana is 79# and a few ounces. I dont see the state record for Indiana making it 5 more years.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I will agree that they are out there. The thing is just putting in the time in the right place to hook into one and landing it.

13. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    I in Bowling Green. I hope it is in the Green River around northern Warren Co. on a brite pleasant afternoon, maybe mid april. :smile2:

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The Kentucky state record is one of the top 3 Flatheads on the books. Fish this size don't come along every day. We got our work cut out for us. I do know of a 103lb Flathead caught by trotline on Lake Barkley :wink:

Kansas 123 lbs 0 oz 61" Elk City Reservoir Ken Paulie 5/14/1998

Texas 98 lbs 8 oz 53" Lake Palestine James Laster 12/2/1998

Kentucky 97 lbs 0 oz Green River Esker Carroll 6/6/1956

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Grizz
    Sounds like you might be in prime location to break that long standing record.

16. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Breaking the record would be nice.Just looking to break my best of 39 pounds for starters.Good luck all and take lots of pics of the next record flat!:smile2:

17. 1187

1187 New Member

State:
    KY
    Herrington Lake has a new record in it I would say.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure that most of the lakes in Ky. have world record class flathead in them, but in a lot of the lakes in the eastern part of the state few people target them.

19. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I think so too Mike. You fish it alot? Herrington is where I spend most of my fishing time. Theres some good ones there thats for sure. 97 lbs is gonna be hard to break though.

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    All that flooded stuff in the dix river hollow lake there's a few records in there I bet good luck !!!!