Flathead catfish starting to spawn in Kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Skipjack, May 29, 2006.

1. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    We had a very good day on the Ohio river yesterday. It took a while to find bait, but after a couple hours we found lots of shad at the end of a private marina. Some of the local pleasure boat owners didn't like us throwing a net in "their marina" and the started yelling at us, but after a few throws I filled the live well with bait and got out of there. We went up river to a place where Vern and I caught some flattys last year around this time. This is a place where big boulders spill down a steep bank, lots of rocks, lots of hiding places. We starting catching fish before I could get my third rod in the holder. We caught about thirty catfish from 5:00 p.m. to midnight. We caught Channels, Blues and a lot of Flatheads. Most of the fish were between 6 to 12 lb. with a few close to 20lb. Some of the flatties were swolen and had hard bellies. I think the spawn close.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Way to go Dave. Tear 'em up. Vern

3. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Has the water warmed enough up there for the spawn??
    Nolin is still like a mountain stream it's so cold!

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rich, here on the Ohio the blues and channels have started to spawn, but the water is still going to have to warm for the flatties to lay. The flats have moved to there nests and are waiting for the water to get right. The channels and blues are going to start coming off the nest in the next few weeks a few at a time. Vern

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The water down here is right at 80 degrees how much warmer do they want it. I think the flatheads are spawning. The blues are moving off.