"Flathead catfish spit my bait"

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Shawn, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Baitkiller brought this up in another thread on here;

How many of you have had flatheads that picked-up, and then later spit the bait?

One obvious time this happened to me, I was letting the fish take line and made the mistake of stopping the spool with my thumb. The fish immediately dropped the bait. Another time, I was using a clicker (one of the last times I did that) and the fish took line out sever seconds before I could grab the line. He stopped and never moved again/dropped that bait.

What seems to work for me is NOT using a clicker, and when the fish picks up let out a little line against light, even tension to get the rod up to about 10 O'Clock position. Lock in the spool, follow the fish down close to horizontal to be sure he's got it, then stick him!!!

I haven't had luck with circle hooks on flatheads yet, but I know a lot of guys are doing that also.

Shawn

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    On the river I fish I get alot of flats that will crush and kill the bait, then drop it. All I do Is set the rod back down and wait a minimum of 15 minutes before I reel it in to check. 80 percent of the time they will back off and inspect their handiwork then come up and eat it. But they know exactly where that bait is so give em a little time to get over whatever made them drop it in the first place, If he's hungry he'll come back most times.

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I have had the saaaaaaaaame problem. Circle hooks cured the problem for me. Alot of people don't like them, It is like my american express, "I don't leave home without them!":thumbsup:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You don't need to let a flathead "run" with the line. They have a huge mouth and whatever bait you use has been engulfed. When he moves off and the clicker starts, drop the tip and engage the reel as soon as possible. Then let him load up on the rod before sticking him. It seems to me that when they move off with the bait they have their mouths slightly open. If I set the hook now I miss alot. And when you let them load up they feel the bait slipping they clamp down. I hook most all this way.