Flathead catfish spawning info.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CBH, Jun 4, 2007.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've been checking several sites, but I can't find very much detailed info on how long the flathead spawn usually lasts. I'm sure there are several of you out there that can give the info that I've been looking for. I've read that they start the spawn at 70 degree water temp, can lay up to 90,000 eggs, and the males guard the nest and fan the eggs. So...do the females lay their eggs then go lay in deeper water and re-coup for a few days? I'd really like to hear from a fish biologist and get all of the details of the flatheads spawning ritual and movements.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well it's like this. The female kills the male after mating. Not really kill, it just kills him that he cant run around with the boys for a while. Whats a while? How long does it take your wife to take a bath? Thats what the females do. After they lay their eggs, they go to a catfish spa some where on the water they are in and do a make over. They group up and talk about every thing that has happened to them through out the year. This can take up to two months. They are so busy talking that they don't eat. This is how they get back in shape after caring those eggs for so long. Mean while the males are so depressed from having to set on eggs and missing all of the fun that the bachelor flats are having, they loose their appetite too and neither one will bite for 60 days. Believe it or not, this is how it goes! :0a10:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very funny, Jack! Nice comment.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Charlie, The truth must be told!:cool2:

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    So thats what they do.

6. muleskinner78

muleskinner78 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They spawn in north mo from about middle of june to the end of july.

7. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Here in VA it usually starts in first part of June and continues until first of July.