flathead catfish spawn

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catma, Aug 7, 2009.

1. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    can anyone tell me why the spawn in ottumwas goin so long and will it pick up again 4 flathead that is

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The complete spawn takes a long time from start to finish.

If you have stable water levels, and stable temps the spawn would be over quicker.

This year, in Ohio anyway, water levels have been constantly rising or falling, and we have had cooler than normal temps, which delay spawning.

Thats my take any way, but I could be wrong, I am sure the flats will start to feed soon.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I know here in iowa we have had a record average low these past months so I'm thinking the spawn in taking a lot longer than usual because of the weather. we only broke 90 for one week then back down in to the 70's and 80's hopefully this next month it will heat up a bit and the bite will pick up more.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

We still aint had a 90 degree day here in Western Pa. yet.:sad2:.They,re hitting good here again though.:wink:

5. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I believe the spawn is dragging out here in eastern PA due to a cooler summer but from my experience of steady fishing and recording catches, it's about over cause i'm starting to pick up more aggressive and larger fish. Even if theres still some big boys guarding their nests, it doesn't hurt to keep on fishin. There is ALWAYS a chance on any given night that you will remember it forever.