Flathead Catfish Spawn For Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Jun 8, 2009.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well It looks like the water temps have reached its mark to put these Flatheads on Spawn.. They are still biting but a very testy when it comes to bait.. They are picking up the bait and giving a very light tug and just sitting with it.. the aggresiveness has passed.. but you can still catch'em..

So goodluck. Just thought I would feel ya in cause I noticed the change...:wink:

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Hey Shane, you just have to cast the bait in front of their faces now!:cool2::wink:

or grab em!:smile2:

3. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    yup... I aint grabbed one in quite some time, Last time I noodled was in Alabama.... :wink:

4. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    or you could use the cast net lol:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    We were out last sat nite with livers,cut up bluegills, crawlers, and sonny's stink bait and didn't catch a thing. Would notice a bump and then nothing only to find a bare hook when we pulled it in.

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    u fishing the ohio river?
    if so i have been catchin some small sauger and walleye in my normal cat holes here around evansville indiana... also a few drum or so called white perch. those lil sauger will suck bait right off a hook pretty quick

7. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    yes so i guess we will have to cast the bait in there face

8. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    No I fish the White River from Indianapolis to Martinsville mainly..
    I noticed that their bite time has changed and that they are no longer as aggressive.. and the water temp is just right... I will still continue to target them but I can just fish to fish till they come back and are ready to start their feeding frenzy!!!

9. shoot2thrill25

shoot2thrill25 New Member

State:
    TH, Indiana
    what about blues and channels? is their spawn similar to flats as far as timing and what conditions are needed? Is there an approx. length of time that flats will spawn or is it just a guessing game?

10. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I have been told blues spawn around the end of June beginning of July when the water is about 10* warmer.... I would say spawn would last 3-4 weeks. Im not an expert on this so dont quote me.. But Im pretty sure its in that time frame.. They are not impposible to catch when in the spawn but will be few and far between

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've noticed a change in the bite too...got out after work on Saturday night and didn't have any luck with live gills but started immediately getting some hits on cut skipjack. Buddy caught one flattie under 5 lbs. We moved spots and I had a good fish on within 5 minutes. He initially picked it up and dropped it at least 3 times, then finally picked it up and started moving off with it real slow. Put on a good fight but swam under some stuff at the bank and lost the hook. Probably a 25 to 30 pound fish. Maybe next time.

Anyway the bites we got weren't very aggressive. And they usually go for the live gills first. I bet I used the same gill on one pole for 3 hours straight...nothing ever touched it.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Getting no bites this past weekend was due to the full moon. I have not yet caught a catfish out here with spawn scars. My fishing log says I catch them good until the last week in June and the first 2 weeks in July.

Don't give up hope, you just have to fine-tune your techniques and tactics now!:cool2:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yep on that

14. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i will also add that the cold front that came through and that the river was dropping pretty good had something to do with it. i fished the friday night tourny on the white up here and only two flats where caught mine and another 14lbr. out of the 12 teams only half of us caught fish.

15. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I TRIED TO TELL SHANE IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE FULL MOON:smile2::smile2:

16. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Whatever Bill JR!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2:

17. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The big bite came before the full moon crested to the tree tops...after that happened...no more bites.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Shane is like me, he tries even though it's a full moon and futile.

That's what fishing is all about, trying/catching during adverse conditions.

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    During the full moon, I try to fish the shadow lines of the trees lining the bank of the river. But you are right about the moon, once it gets up to a certain point in the sky, they will shut off!

Good thing the full moon is only once a month!

20. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Same thing happened to me down in Vevay, bite was slow all day, then when the moon crested NOTHING.