Flathead Catfish Skulls

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by NCCatter, May 22, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a flathead skull and skinned it out like you would do a deer skull. I don't know if it's possible, just wondering. Bigcatwannabe caught a nice 36 pounder this weekend and I was thinking about trying to keep the skull of it. Anyone know if it's possible? Thanks.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Never though about but that would make a neat peace for a collection.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you can come up here and get one from behind my shed.lol sorry no big ones i dont eat trophys.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Seeing as I do eat "trophies" I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to prepare a skull for the purpose of making it a collection item. The next "trophy" we catch will probably be CPR'ed into Lake Crisco as well!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they get nice and white out in the sun as long as a cat or yote dont drag it off. i suppose you could boil it then maybe a bleach soak.

the last post was just an opinion friend. what you do with your fish is your buisness,im all for that living in a fee country thing. if it upset you im sorry ,it was not ment to brother.

6. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man if you have a telephone pole or something to that effect nail it to there and wait a little while 2-3 weeks in the sun should do the job we have plenty of em around here.....none that r mine im def a cpr type of guy

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    River Scum,
    It's ok everyone is different. Do ya'll think the upper and lower jaw will still be connected once all the ligaments and tissue rots off?

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No. The jaws will seperate but you can glue them together or take a very small drill bit and some wire and re-attach them. Just put the skull somewhere the critters can't get to it and the insects will do the rest.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    It was quite common in the "old days" to pull up to someones' house and see several severed fish heads nailed to the side of a garage, hung on a fense post, nailed to a tree(where they had been skinned)nailed to a barn/shed door. There is no special preparation for this. Just nail the puppy up there. It was kinda like a posted notice, instead of keep out, or no trespassing, it's we fish here. A notice to all passer-bys, that was your trophys!
    Don

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They say meal worms and larva are use in the labs to clean animal's skeletons. I'm sure you could find out how to do it on Google.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    At our gathering to the "Colorado River" down in "Blyth", there was a baitshop, where we stopped to get goldfish for flathead bait. In the front of the store, under the sign, were hanging several skulls of past catches!

Attached Files:

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There's a section of road by one of my lakes that has 20 to 60 pound flatheads on every 8 foot section of fence for a half mile. Those things have been there for years but the head's are not white. The skin on there skull turned to a dark leather. My suggestion would be the same as Tim's and boil all that skin off and bleach it.

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Don't use bleach, use peroxide, boil the meat off, clean out brains, then when you've got it clean put it in about 1 part peroxide and 3 parts water for a couple of hours, if not white enough put it back in.

14. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yep,like sam said,thats the way.but youll have to reattach the jaw.Ive used this method at times.The ones I keep to eat,I trophy up on the trophy trees ,real high . helps to tack some metal flashing up above and down below where you mount the heads,about 5 to 6 feet up and down below will keep the coons and possuims and other critters at bay.