Flathead Catfish Shocking on Georgia's Rivers

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Sep 25, 2008.

Are you for or against Flathead removal from Georgia's rivers?

1. Let them live

2. Remove them

3. Don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    What is your opinion on the Georgia Department of Natural Resources attempting to remove non-native Flathead Catfish from Georgia'a rivers by shocking them up and destroying them? Should they be removed so native species like Redbreast and Bullheads can survive or should they be left alone to provide a Flathead fishery, at the expense native species?

2. fishinhole

fishinhole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Seems like there is enough water to go around. Wouldn't hurt to have some good flatheads to try for.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Paul, that's a tough question. From a catfisherman's perspective, leave them alone and let them do their thing!! From an ecological perspective, don't mess with the food chain. Removing one vital link of any food chain can be catastrophic, as history has taught us.

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Stumpjumper, It is a tough question and as much as you like flathead fishing, I know it was tough for you not to say "let them live". I appreciate your honest answer. Sorry for the typos. I thought I proof read that sucker.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im a flathead fisherman and dont like bullheads but I know flatheads eat everything and alot of it. But, if flatheads are already in the waters I say let them stay. They will never eradicate all of them and their not a trash fish and their a monster sportfish to catch. So I vote to let them stay.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I say let them live cause we as catfishermen and women have a right to fish for what we like

7. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, since I target flattys, I'd say 'let em live'. But after reading an article about an attempt to remove flats from the Altamaha...boating over 1500 pounds an hour, and not even making a dent...I say 'let em try'! :smile2:

- Marty -

8. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well seeing as how i try and catch um but never do i still say let um live and let um stay. like others have said you take something out of the food chain everything gets jacked up. if you also look at the stats catfish in itself weather bullhead channel blue or flattie have made up a gross population that plays a vital role on peoples food supply.

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Paul,
    I think the question is a little broad, There are rivers in Ga that have always had the Flathead in it,"coosa" and they should stay there, however I'm not informed enough to respond to the rivers that where stocked,, however they sure seem to be doing well down there ,,, Can anyone say next World Record??? :wink: I'm waiting and hoping,,, From what I here from a DNR shocker the fish are there just need to be caught on hook and line...:cool2:
    Puddle...:roll_eyes:

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Thanks Puddle, I was not aware that flatheads are native to the Coosa River.

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Heck yeah let em live, the DNR can't eradicate them anyways......they might get the numbers down, but the flatheads will quickly rebound. Record size flathead for a redbelly bream....now that's a good trade off if you ask me.

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'll be the first to admit that non-native flatheads are detrimental to native species in rivers where they are an introduced species (Altamaha, Oconee, Ocmulgee, and Satilla). However, I believe DNR is wasting time, money, and resources trying to remove them, as this only delays the inevitable. They will never get them all, and when they stop removing them, the flatties will increase in number anyway. Blues and flats aren't native to any Atlantic drainage from Florida to Maine, but they have been legally and illegally stocked in many of the atlantic basins. The Santee-Cooper system is an example. GA should let the flatheads be where they're already established, and use the money and resources to educate people and make sure that Flatheads don't get into other GA rivers where they aren't native, such as the Ogeechee. I'll say this, there's a lot of people in S. GA that absolutely hate flatheads, but they might as well accept that the flatties are there and go buy some heavy tackle :wink::big_smile:

13. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I talked to the DNR Fisheries today and they said there were no plans to try to remove them from the Chattahoochee River. I don't guess there are any native species in danger here, so it looks like flathead fishing in the Hooch is just going to get better and better. :big_smile:

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    My vote is to let them alone, they are a valuble fishery in my opinion.

15. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I voted to leave the but now I think they should shock the s@#$ out of them and letum go near my house:wink:

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    They said they would send the big snappin' turtles over your way. :smile2:

17. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    the flat head do.`t just eat redbrest . they eat most all pan fish even channel cats and even eat a snake .the the redbrest depleation is frome over harvesting more than anything else . i know there is a limit on them but we don`t have enough ranger to catch them . think there should be a limit on size of all sunfish along with the amount . flat head is not onley a bigsport fish but a good eating fish in the large er size .i say let them stay .

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Strange how they're worried about the flathead population. They must not have asian carp down that way yet. LOl, If they did, I don't think the flathead would pose such a threat...

19. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Where I fish Flats are the best thing we have to fish for and it's not like I am going to eat a fish that comes out of the Hooch 25 miles south of Atlanta plus there is no way they can get to all of them /// also It would be a big waste of tax dollars that could be put to better use, Georgia is almost broke I don't see the money spent on this type program, not in the next few years but who knows with Gov spending, So I say No leave them alone is my vote (spend the money on stocking bait fish:wink:)

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ofcourse Im partial to the flathead population. Kind of hard to say though since flatheads are such voracious eaters. I wonder just how much more of an impact flatheads make on prey species in comparison to other fish like bass?!:confused2: