Flathead catfish season?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dcaruthers, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Need some calender info for flatheads. I am new to the flathead hunt and wanted to know what is the calendar/temperature range for flatheads. Do you all quit after a certain date, or do you wait on water or air temp? I just finished my boat and am about ready to hit the hunt hard here in central AL.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would have to say that it depends on location and tactics. I know that around here in Az they say that the catfishing season pretty much stops in late October to early November. I have seen some guys still catching Channels as well as Flathead through January though...I have also seen some pictures on here of cats caught with snow in the background...

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've heard it doesn't stop the fish slow down a lot you won't catch as many but you will catch size, Thats from my understanding. I plan on doing it all year around may not hit it as hard around bow and muzzle loader season

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have the channels and blues down patterns figured out. I'm asking specifically for flatheads. I read an indepth article that pretty much said flatheads are inactive during winter months. Something about them just laying on the bottom half covered with mud and let the current put water for oxygen over their gills. I fish the Alabama river near Montgomery for flatheads so this is the only area I need info on.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think the best time to catch BIG flats is in the fall time

6. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    It is possible to consistently catch flatheads all the way until the water temp reaches around 50degree's, which it probably never does in montgomery. The fishing gets tougher when it's that cold, but you can still catch them.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In coastal SC, I fish April through November. Mostly I like the water temps above 60. You can catch some fish down to 50, but they are not so active. The exception is that in the fall/early winter I sometimes get a few in deep holes on cut bait when the water is in the 50's. Remember, though, that it never gets all that cold here most years. Part of the deal for me is that it gets tougher to get live sunfish for bait once I get into November.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It looks like water temp is the biggest factor. 50-60 degrees and above for flatheads. Thanks for the help.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    David, others in the area and I have been doing well flathead fishing on the Ohio lately. Look for them around stick ups and jams that are in around fifteen feet of water. I have been doing well using live shad, but bream are also good bait. Vern

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My best experiences catching flatheads is when water temp is between 60 and 70 degrees.

11. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    around here they seem to do good in mid to late june and then again in late augest - late september

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, fall is best. but once water temps get below 45 degees it over...............:sad2:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In Ohio I fish for them from mid april till early november.

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My Grandparents live in Parish Alabama.. and 5 or 6 years ago i was catching flat heads in late november on night crawlers... dont know if this is enough to help cause i dont remember the temps but i only go down there certain times of the year so im oretty sure as to what month it was.... good luck

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Only 3 years exp. now but from what I've seen in Ohio fishin dee Ohio River is : A water temp above 55!!!!!!! What wolfman posted above is right on, 60-70 is best!!!!!! I can get them to bite fair at below 55 but they bite so very lite that its very hard for me to hook up on them using cut bait.

I hope this OPINION HELPS!!