flathead catfish science habits

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 24, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    , ok ive heard many topics from varios sorces, how far do you think flat travel from there ambush struckter, does anyone have solid evidece of how far they move, acording to some he says they dont like to move , but from my experce on the lake, see that i said lake, i see them and catch them coming out of structer at evning and roming sandbars

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have some great fishery studies, and even put together a compilation of the best ones and kicked it out to the Catfish Insider Group.

Most all have one common theme.

The largest period of movement of flathead catfish occur by young males that are to small to breed, cant challenge dominant males, but are still looking for that lonely female during the pre-spawn period.

If the water is not blocked by man-made structure(s), some have been tagged that have moved upwards of 80 miles.

Of course these long movements are isolated cases, but are documented, and exist.

Most will settle in their predominant habitat, (Assuming it provides the big 3 needs) then move to micro-habitats throughout the day within the vicinity of their primary habitat range.

3. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i believe it all has to do with food availability and the big males will move to get the best breeding grounds

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Very solid info, I have found in river systems that I catch some of the same big flatheads. I think the big ones are very dominant and if you find a place that holds big flats, you have got a spot that will always hold big flats if nothing drastic happens. I would say this to be true in lakes also. I called DNR and tried to get tags to tag flathead catfish for this reason, they said it would need to be for scientific research. I would like to tag some large flats and see there patterns over a years time and there growth rate in my area.