Flathead catfish Rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Apr 11, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i am using snap on swivels to connect my leader thats tied with a blood bight knot on the connecting end for my carolina rig. is this gonna affect the fish at all or is too weak?

Ryan

2. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what are u using for your leader? if its beefy i think itll be okay

3. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    its 25lb mono with attached to a 7/0 j-hook on a palomar knot

4. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    o i think that would be fine yea ur good bro

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I quit using snap swivels after one came unsnapped last year. It was a big swivel too like for a trotline. JMHO if you wanna land a monster, use a swivel without the snap. Alot of people don't even use swivel for flats because they don't roll as much as channels or blues. I don't know what a blood bight knot is, so I can't give an opinion on that. I use a palomar knot 90% of the time.

6. KSflatheadKING3511

State:
    Kansas
    [​IMG]

there ya go i just attach my snap swil to the loop

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I will use a barrel swivel and toss those snap swivels in the trash. I have seen them come unsnapped and cost people nice fish. If you need a swivel then use a cork screw type as these are much stronger and don't come unsnaped. See attached pic.

Attached Files:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For flatheads ,yes, that would be too weak. You are better off to go with the 2 way barrel swivel, using a palomar knot on both ends.

9. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I always use a barrel swivel when i am going for the bigger fish because i have seen to many snap swivels come un snapped or straighten out jmo.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    From my experience...using swivels is another weak point between you and the fish.I just use a slip sinker,bead and polomar knot on a J or Kahle hook.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I agree with Kenny,
    The less things on your line, the less things that can go wrong.
    ~ If you need to use a swivel, bust off the snap with a wire cutter.. I have never had a problem with a barrel swivel.

~A

12. P.Bean

P.Bean New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    for the last 5 years i have always used the common slip rig for when i flathead fish...just wondering if anybody as ever used a 3 way swivel rig with a circle hook and how their hookup ratio was

13. got one

got one New Member

State:
    michigan
    i use a three way with the sinker line about 8" long and the hook about 18-20". i havn't had many problems with the rig using a kahle hook, but i've yet to try circle hooks. many of the guys here would probally agree that it's a good rig.

try the boc library link it has a few different styles which all work pretty good.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you ever hook a 50 plus pound river flathead you will wish you never heard of a snap swivel. You already know that they don't hold up to a snag when you pull hard enough,so what makes you think they can stand the tug of a trophy Flathead? Ditch the "snap" and use a barrel. If you like, do a test, put your sinker on a snap and put it in a vise and try to break your line. I bet the snap will bend before your line breaks. Then do the same with a barrel, I bet the line breaks before the swivel. I may be wrong.......

15. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    NetmanJack had a neat post about a swivelless carolina rig. It should be in the library. Comes with a drawing and everything. As much current as i fish, i need a barrel to keep the twist out.

Hope this helps, Dru

16. pokechoke

pokechoke New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info