flathead catfish rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by STEWART, Oct 9, 2009.

1. STEWART

STEWART New Member

State:
    CA.
    looking for a couple different rigs for flathead i will be fishing in a canal with a small current. i will be using gills or taplpi for bait,how do i rig these up . on one rod i would like to run 2 hook one for live bait the other hook for cut bait any help would be appreciated.i'm pretty new to fishing for flatheads but they have my full attention now after reading all these post thanks STEWART

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Stewart!:0a25:. I,d just run a simple slip sinker rig on both.Be sure and gear up and use heavy enough line and a big enough hook to get the job done.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill second that welcoming Stewart. like pat cat says a slip rig will do ya. if you find any slack water you can tie on a balloon as a float and suspend a live gill or cut. same slip rig just with a small balloon tied on the line with a double overhand knot. when your done with the floating rig just cut off the balloon and your back on bottom without re-rigging.:wink:

4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    You could use a kat bobber instead of the balloon if you would prefer. Check out Wild Wolf Products for kat Bobbers. Please support our sponsors whenever possible. Thank you and welcome to the BOC.

Ray,

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    like these guys ahve said..dont go skinny on the equipment..you might jsut catch what youve been trying to :wink:

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Listen to the 2 headed hillbilly and catch a good ole biggun. And welcome to the BOC. :smile2:

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    fishing for flatheads id stay away from the 2 hook rig.flats are notorious for hitting cover and ya wouldnt want them hanging up the hook that aint in their mouths.other than that the other guys gave the methods i use.

8. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish for Flatheads in brushy water with lots of stumps. I use 50 lb. braided line and a stiff 5 to 6 foot rod. My reason for the line and rod is getting that fish above the brush before he runs under a log and gets loose. I use live bait on a slip rig with a float to keep the bait just off the bottom. I use a cork and suspend the live bait if the bottom is covered with brush. Flatheads will find the bait regardless of what depth it is when they are hungry. I use a large kale hook with a stainless leader with a swivel between the line and leader. Hope this helps, Catfishjon

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    welcome stewart ...sniper

10. STEWART

STEWART New Member

State:
    CA.
    headed out tonight ,made bait all ready,gear is good to go .now i just need to calm down you know that excitment befor the trip . thanks again for the info . i will post after the trip and let yall know how it went. STEWART

11. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I would just run your main line (i use mono from 20-40#) down to a sliding egg sinker, tie a flourescent red bead and set your "leader" (from the red bead to the hook) about 8-14" long. It's really basic; but it's all that I use and I've been relatively successful with it. not many week points in the line. Just the palomar knot tied to the hook, and I dont know if i would call that type of knot a weak point.