Flathead Catfish Rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bnewsom71, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am getting ready to do an all-nighter tomorrow night and getting everything ready so I am prepared to do battle. I am going to hit some of the normal flathead spots like holes, snags and flats. But I can't seem to decide on what would be the best setup for bottom fishing these types of areas. So I am asking what type of rig do you all like to use? Thanks in advance for the responses!!:big_smile:

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    starting at the bottom,8/0 gamma circle hook, about a foot of 40# big cat mono leader, then a barrel swivel, then a bead,snap swivel (i use for a sinker slide), another bead and thats all on about 3-4 ft of more 40# mono leader connected by a uni-knot to my main line which is 80# power pro:wink: all on 7' king kat pole w/ shimano baitrunners

3. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What he said, lol. I use some serious pole holders too for the poles that are fishing bottom. The only difference between what Lenny said and I use is line, I use mono.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Maybe I am just trying to over think things too much:roll_eyes:I use the exact same setup as Lenny also for all my other catfishing as well.

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to Kahle hooks from 7/0-10/0 depending on bait size for flatheads. Weights from 2-12 ounces depending on current and bait size. For flatheads I cast out set the clicker and lay the pole down. Not usually fishing heavy current for flatheads as I've had a lot better luck in slacker water. Good luck!!

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

7 ft Ugly-stik boat rod.7000 Abu with 80-100 lb braid.6 inch mono leader 60#.Mustad 92671,s-7/0-10/0.:wink: