Flathead catfish rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jms43, Jan 13, 2009.

1. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of rigs do you guys use to catch flatheads. I've never fished for them but I plan on changing that this year. Any other advice you guys have to offer will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Jon

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    There are three rigs I use.

One is the basic Three way rig, Tie a sinker on the end of the line then a dropper loop any where from 18 inches to 3 foot above the weight for the hook.

Rig number 2 is a slip float, no sinker just a hook on the end of the line, a big slip float and stop knot set to whatever depth I want.

Finally rig number 3, nothing but a hook and a long rod with some type of a clicker/baitfeeder reel set firmly in a good holder. Tie the hook on the end of the line, hook a good lively bait on and let straight down till the bait is just a couple inches under water.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like to use a "modified" carolina rig. here is the set up: use a no roll or a bank sinker and run directly to main line. then tie on a large barrel swivel. run about 18 inches of leader material and run a slip float onto leader. then attach hook to end of leader. here is a pic to help out. i use this rig with alot of success. people ask me if the float sppoks the fish and i have noticed more hook-ups using the float than not using it. it helps to keep the bait off of the bottom and out of the muck (especially cutbait) and when fished in curent will provide alot of action to help disperse scent. i also use this rig for livebait with alot of success.

Attached Files:

4. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Do you peg the float or allow it to slide up and down the leader? Thanks for the idea!

5. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the great idea. I'll have to try that. Here's another question. I live by a small river which has blues, flats, and an abundance of channels. I've caught several blues and lots of channels, but never any flats. What type of areas should I look for on the river?

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Jon, I really focus on finding and fishing structure for Flatheads. In the summer Faltheads will also cruise shallow water at night.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    on any river i mainly fish 3 types structure.trees or log jams,rock walls ,or under cut clay banks on outside bends.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i typically peg the float about 3 inches above the bait. that way it doesnt slide down over the eye of the hook. also if you are looking for flaheads in a river look around log jams, bends in the river, or rocks. also if you are fishing from a boat and are cruising up the river, look for any change in water depth. something as simple as a 2 to 3 foot "hole" in the main channel will hold fish. if you are in 14 ft of water and it drops suddenly to 18 ft and then rises to 14 ft again is a good place to look. at night you can fish the shallow areas around these holes and slay them. they will cruise the shallower areas at night looking for a meal.

9. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    LOOK FOR THE BIGGEST JAM YOU CAN FIND AND SET UP NEAR IT( USUALLY ON OUTSIDE BENDS). DONT BE AFRAID TO FISH TO SHALLOW IN SUMMER. SLIP SINKER RIGS WILL WORK. FLATS WILL ALSO HOLD UNDER/NEAR ROCKS--BIGGER THE BETTER. LIVE BAIT, WHATEVER IS LEGAL. I LIKE CUT SHAD ALSO. FLATHEADS CAN AT TIMES BE TOUGH TO CATCH BUT IF YOUR SURE THEY ARE IN YOU WATERS KEEP AT IT AND YOU'LL GET HOOKED UP SOON.

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've had good success in the slack water areas of the river. Especially in the early morning.

11. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    As another member had suggested that i can't forget, if not getting snagged on debris[branches etc.] regularly you are not fishing in the right area!

12. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the great info guys. Here's another questions for ya. There's a small lake near by that has a warm water discharge. Its full of big flatheads, what would you guys recommend for bank fishing the warm water channel. Should I fish on the bottom or use a float?

13. 20poundtest

20poundtest New Member

State:
    indiana
    carolina is the way to go with a good 2/0 hook drop it set the clicker and wait

14. 20poundtest

20poundtest New Member

State:
    indiana
  15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use a 7ft mh action pole with a shimano 4500 baitrunner loaded with 80# power pro and about 3 ft. of 40 # big cat mono as a leader, then i use a sliding sinker rig keeping my bait(live 5-8 inch sunny or gill) about a foot off the bottom with a 8/0 gamma octopus circle hook, i normally use about 2 or 3 oz. of weight depending on current, i look for deeper water on outside bends with any type of cover, downed trees are most common cover or log jams against bridges or dams, i hook my sunnies thru the tail section making sure not to hit the spine that way they are nice and lively, lively bait is key :wink:

16. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois

jon ur not talkin about baldwin r u if so both a slip rig and a bottom rig will work

and another thing a good depth to set the bobber is about 7 foot

17. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not sure where Baldwin is... I was referring to Lake Montrose, which is about 15 miles west of Clinton Mo. The state record flathead was taken out of there a few years back. somethin like 78.8 or right around there. Thanks for the info.