Flathead catfish rigs (bank sinkers)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rangercatman, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    Anyone use the bell shaped - bank sinkers on a slip rig. I usually use the flat no-roll sinkers but the local tackle shop ran out. I bought these bell shaped sinkers & will give em a try. Just wanted to know if anyone might have a reason why I shouldnt use them for a slip rig.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use bank sinkers a lot (don't have a local source for norolls) and I have bno problem with them. If you try to throw them accross current, they'll drag. Better to use a pyramid for that.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I pretty much always throw a bank or flat bank sinker on the slip rigs. I haven't had much trouble with them. They seem to hold better than regular bell sinkers, but it could just be me:confused2:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I only use bank sinkers and have no problems with them. I make my own, I always use 5 or 6 oz regardless if I need one that big or not to hold smaller baits. Just takes out the guesswork of what size to use. I also use a south-bend sinker slider on my power pro so the sinker can't nick the line up if its not smooth. That way I can change sinker size quick and easy if I need to, and take them off without cutting the line when transporting my rods.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I use bank sinkers, always have. never had a problem with them yet.

6. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    They are the only sinkers that I use.I tie them on bottom or use them with a swivel as a slip rig depending on structure

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I try to use a bank sinker when in current as they don't move around as much but if you run out of your regular equipment you have to make do with what you have. I did the same thing you did and didn't have a problem with it. The only thing I would say is that a good quality swivel is a must to prevent line twist in the current or if your lucky enough to get bit. Best of luck.
    :cool2:

8. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I occassionaly use the eggs. I feel that if there are not alot of snaggs, a slow roll moves your bait over a larger surface. especialy with fish that are holding in floor depressions. one spot I fish is nearly impossible to get the bait positioned correctly unless you let it roll in.

if its snaggy I like the pyrimids. 4-10 some 12-14 also. and I use the snap swivels. probably 12lb release weight. that way if the weight gets snagged during a battle it will quickly release and youll get your fish. you would be surprised how often that happens.

9. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    ya have any luck with them? let us know ! :lol:

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big ol' hammer will flatten 'em right out...:cool2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Some things that cost $5 to buy several years ago now costs $10 just to repair.

11. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    you beat me to the hammer fix,ol man.

12. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I'd think it would work pretty good but watch out for the inside of the eye of the sinker. I have bought some bell sinkers that have been pretty jagged and sharp.

13. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I use bank sinkers sometimes depending on the situation. I mostly use no-roll though. I order them from catfish connection. You can get them up to 8 oz. and they aren't too expensive from there.

14. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Haha I like that "Ol man", I guess a big hammer would flatten them out, never thought about that. LOL.

Wheelmobile07