Flathead Catfish relating to Rock walls for cover?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slimcat, Jan 8, 2006.

1. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have observed flatheads in aquariums that hover around rock walls and was wondering if any of you guys fish for flats this way. Whats the best setup to use in order to suspend live or cutbait along a rock wall.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I don't have much experience with this, but my brother has caught a lot of flatheads and trophy channels along rock walls in the summer. He catches them while he is bass fishing with jigs. My guess is that they are spawning and he pitches the jig in the nest, and it's just a reaction strike. This can be a successful way of fishing the spawn, if you don't mind pitching jigs all day.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have fished along dumped concrete so it might be the same as a rock wall. the concrete i fished before have been like straight down to depths of 15-30ft. flats will cruise along the concrete at night looking for gills, bass , craws, or whatever may be hiding in the crevices. shad also work along the concrete eating the algae buildup. i use a large thill float anywhere from 5-12 ft depending on the depth. i found out the flats cruise at them depths if there isnt too much current. during the day they will be resting on the bottom along side the 'crete and behind the bigger pieces.

4. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Intresting you mention Crawdads (crayfish). I have only caught one flathead in my entire life of carwdads. I have caught all of mine on other fish (perch, crappie, shad, etc..) and worms. Now I have caught a ton of channels and a few blues on carws though.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    It's not really a wall,but I've caught some heavy flatheads on railroad pilings.These pilings are about 6'thick and 20 ' long.They lay right up against the bottom ledge of it.As loud as the trains are that cross the tracks,makes you wonder why they say there. :D

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have 3 really good spots right under or near a busy railroad bridge. pilings are concrete though. trains come through about every 10-15 minutes. trust me they get used to it after a while, just wish i could.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have fished for them up against the steep bluffs on Cataract lake here in Indiana. I would set the baits at different depths under slip floats and then use clothes pins wedged into cracks in the rock to keep them in place. They work like the releases used on deep trolling set ups. Set them far enough apart so that the baits can't tangle with each other. I used the boat to set them and then backed away from the bluffs and clipped into the anchors that I had dropped before setting the baits out. When I got a hit I would wait to rebait until all the baits needed replacing. The biggest problem I had was wankers in bass boats trying to get between me and the bluffs. Seemed like 3 lines going from the boat to the rocks wasn't a big enough clue for them to go around. Go figure!...W

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    would you expect anything better out of bass fishermen?

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks guys for the ideas. Metalman , those bassers are usually jerks. How deep is the water you are fishing on that rock wall?

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Slimcat. I read an article in the cafishinsider about a guy fishing lake of the ozarks. He would fish the sheer rock faces. He would look for indentaions or holes where the rock was broken out. He would set trot lines along the face of the rock. Most of the water in lake of the ozarks is 50 plus feet deep. He claimed that most of the time it was during the spawn that this would work.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Demetrius,
    as I recall the water varied between between 15-30 feet. I would set a bait deep, mid-water and right at the surface. Amazing how sometimes, right out of nowhere the surface bait would get nailed with a big gulping sound! I don't fish there anymore. Although I'm sure there are flatheads of record proportions, there are way to many yeahoos and speed boaters...W

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Metalman, I know what you are saying. Bearcat, which issue was that in. I seem to be missing a few of those insiders. Thats good info. thanks

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Have you guys ever wondered if flatheads prefer rocky cover compared to the cover provided by logjams? I am starting to think they prefer rock crevices for cover to logs if provided. Especially after seeing the ones in Chattanooga. I have caught flatheads from both types of cover but bigger ones from rocky areas.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'd have to say logjams. reason bieng they can get inside the wood cover and hide whereas with rocks or concrete they have to just lay alongside. but then again if theres a lot of current flowing through a logjam and you have a huge pile of rocks/concrete nearby thats breaking current then i'd say the rocks.

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    In August 2004 my brother caught a 40lb flat along a straight up and down ledge in the Ohio River. It was caught in 50 feet of water at the mouth of a creek in an outside bend. In the late summer of this past year I caught a 32 pounder out of the same hole. In early spring of last year I caught a 25lb Flat along a big rock face in another location in 30 feet of water. I would say from experience that large flatties can and are often caught along rocky ledges. I've never personally fished logjams much, because I tend to target rocky areas for the large blues that are caught there and often end up catching large flatties also. Vern

16. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like fishing concrete structures about the same as wood; retaining walls, bridge footings.... they seem to hang around those places. Being newer to flatheads, maybe I focus in on the obvious spots. Of course, these kind of spots probably catch more pressure.

Shawn

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really didn't see all that much woody cover for the flatheads in the Chattanooga aquarium. When I was there, the flatties weren't just relating to the rock bluff, they were all on ledges, usually where there was some kind of bulge overhead. And every nice hole in the bluff contained a flathead. I think that they may prefer woody cover, but will easily accept rocky cover if that's what's available. I'm going to have to be shown that they will relate to a smooth section of rock bluff or concrete wall; I think they relate to hiding places where they can rest while waiting to ambush supper.

18. flatheadboy2002

flatheadboy2002 New Member

State:
    Rock river illinois
    99% of the flat fishing off the bank we do is straight down off of concrete walls we do good in 2 years of flathead fishing im only 16 soo getting a late start i have landed 11 between 20lbs and 35lbs with 2 over 35lbs we drop it straght down raise our bait up about a foot and wait

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have caught a few between 15-30 lbs fishing at the base of a lock wall that runs from the low-head dam downstream about 30 yrds. Its sheer concrete but it runs the length of the scour hole also, so can't say they were holding there or cruising around.

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    What size set-up do yall use, and what for bait, I've caught all my ops on trot lines, and trying to go more to rods.