Flathead catfish questions. I'm sorry fellas for all the questions.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Montgomery, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i am wanting to try my hand at some flatts this year. found a i know they have been caught from in the gmr. and i'm trying to get an early start before this spot gets fished to death. but i am unsure of size hook to use and sinker recomendations. say i use 7 inch bait fish. in a deep whole where current isn't the hardest . still moving just not as hard you know . and i only have spining reels. no clickers or baitrunner or anything . old fashion drag is all. and i know i cant very well leave my bail open in the river. old fashion pole proped up on tackle box. any advice on how to fish useing spinning reels and ect. and rigging technics. and here in ohio how soon will flatts be on the haunt . whats the best time to start fishing for them around here

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    well....from what i gather on here around late april flatties will be huntin but as for rigs and set ups your guess is as good as mine cause i never really targetted one type of catfish i fished for what ever i caught

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i would say the first thing to invest in is some sturdy rod holders if you dont have a bait clicker.Most of the mail order catalogs offer some type of holder.You need something that will plant firmly into the ground(even a modest sized flat will take your pole right now!)My advice as far as rigging would be 3 to 5 oz no roll sinker and a 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook.Good luck brother!

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Don't worry about what kind of tackle you are using. If thats what you have use it. the fish can't see it anyway . If your equipment is big enough to handle a good size fish. flat heads ain't any different then others if you can turn him. On a 7 inch bait I would use at least a 6/0 to 8/0 Kale or Circle. Something I use to do when their wasn't much current is I would take a bobber and place it on your line between the third and forth guide from the tip of the rod and turn the bobber wire so the line will slide through it. pull the bobber down to the ground. When a fish bites, it will pull the bobber off the ground and up to the rod. makes it a lot easier to see in the dark. After you hook the fish you can remove the bobber from your line to fight the fish. It kinda acts like a bait clicker, just doesn't make any noise.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well mike you obviously catch channel cats so your rigs are fine just replace the cut bait for live blue gill or what ever bait you prefer but live and fish near stumps and ledges like you would for channels change up and fish early mornins or late evenings flatheads do best at that time of day , i dont know what the water temp is but there have been small flats caught in the ohio river below markland all winter , flatheads prefer warmer water but all fish have the need to eat , the best advice i can give is dont give up and have lots of patience flat heads dont get in a hurry and they usually follow the rest of the fish the last to feed

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Bro don,t feel bad about the questons Ask away:big_smile:

7. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If you are fishing on a bank that has some rock or gravel, anything solid. You can take a beer can and crunch it so it forms kinda a v then put it on the line that runs between your guides, so when a cat hauls your bait off the can will fly off and if you dont see it it will clank down the bank. that way you dont have to stare straight at your rod for hours you can enjoy the sunshine and the outdoors:cool2:

8. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Never feel bad about asking questions on this site. That's why we're here.

Flatheads are kind of wierd sometimes. I've hooked some that didn't even notice they were hooked until a few moments after the fact.
    That being said, you can kinda rig your spinning reels to have a bait clicker.
    All you need to do is loosen your drag on your reel until the line will slip just easily enough so a fish can take it, but strong enough that the current doesn't. You'll know its a flatty taking when the line just slowly and smoothly puuls off the reel. When the flatty take it's run, just point your rod toward the fish, tighten your drag for a hook set and let'er rip.

Most of the time you don't have to worry about a flathead feeling the tension and letting go of the bait. A few seconds of tension seems to make grip the bait better, and lets me get a better hook set most of the time.

9. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    use a 4 - 8 circle hook i caught a 55lb on 0/4. fish your structure during the mornings and afternoons and your shallows at night. you can use live or cut bait. but make sure its something local or you can but a ball of nightcrawlers on a hook, heck some people use shrimp. a great rod holder that i use is a pipe about 2-3" in diameter and about 18"-24"long and beat it in the ground half way slide your rod in it this works good for me. night fishing you can buy glow sticks that fix to the end of your rod or a clamp on bell right at your local walmart or fish and tackle shop

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Mike,
    There are a couple of easy way to fish in current with a spinning reel and still allow the fish to run with the bait. You can remove the side plate from the reel and pack it with grease (not oil) and this will put some resistance into the mechanism that will allow you to just leave the anti-reverse off.
    The other trick is to use a cube of sponge rubber around your line jammed into the line guide closest to the reel. This will "clamp" the line without damage. By varying how tight you have the sponge you can prevent the bait or current taking line but allow the fish to run with the bait. Again leave the anti-reverse off and the reel will just spin backwards when you get a run.
    One thing, if you are fishing close to snags don't let them run at all. Use very sturdy rod holders and set the hook on them and hold on. If they make it to the snag it's usually all over...W

11. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    im not sure about up north, but here in texas if im fishing for flatties, i wont fish the deepest water at night....they tend to come in shallow to feed after dark. when i set lines in some of these creeks, during the day i sling the line out in the middle, and at night i throw them down the sides of the banks in only a couple or three foot of water......good luck

12. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You ask excellent questions, so don't apologize, I'm learning from the answers your getting. I think we can all pick up a tip or two. Thanks.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Don't ever be afraid to ask fishing questions. This place is aptly named
    catfish1.com and/or the brotherhood of catfisherman. What kind of place would it be if we didn't wait for catfish q's to come up every once in a while? The other stuff on this site is just fluff til we can talk about fishing.

There has been someexcellent advise given here. My input is simply choose your style. If you fish with circle (8 ought Gamakatsu Circles are choice) hooks get a sturdy rod holder that sticks in the ground. (we ain't messin with bluegill here) set your drag so that the line wont break set it in the holder and DO NOT TOUCH it until it is bent in half.
    If you like to cross their eyes then use regular hooks and when it twitches open your bail and let your fingers adjust for current. When the fish is taking it steady, flip the bail, set the hook, and yell FISH ON!!

When the water is down you can get by with as little as a 3/4 oz egg sinker. As the current grows so do the weights. This past weekend I used 16 oz and still did not know if I was holding bottom in the mighty Miss below Alton Dam.Typically I would guess in your area you would use 2-3 oz no rolls as a good all around.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(OH)

14. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Here are pics of the cheapest rodholders I have. Buy a 10-ft length of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 PVC pipe from the home supply for about 3 bucks. Hacksaw to 18-inch lengths, and trim one end about halfway up to a taper. You can't see it in the pics, but I glued a ring of PVC cut from scrap pipe end into the pipe ID just above the place where the taper meets the complete diameter - this stops the rod from pushing all the way down into the holder. I have crammed these things between rocks, concrete slabs, into mudbanks, gravel, and riprap. The taper sets these up so tight between boulders that you need a mallet to get them out. Haven't lost a rod yet, and they get a heck of a pull on 20-lb line when one loads up against the drag. Second pic is for transport and storing - just drill a 1/4-inch hole in the small end and string 'em on a length of weedwhacker line.

For your light spinning rods, you can turn the reel drag back to hold tension but still feed out line on a run. Just remember where it sets to fight the fish and practice getting it back to that position, which might be kind of hard to judge in the dark or on a slippery bank.

Dennis

Attached Files:

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Use the method the maddcatter supplied for making your reel into a bait-runner. Just keep the drag tight enough that the current or the bait can't pull out line and you'll do fine. If you have it too loose or have the anti reverse lever off you will get a backlash or line around the reel or handel if you get a fast run and aren't close enough to stop it. For rod holders take a hatchet with you and cut some 5 or 6 ft Y sticks and hammer them into the ground at an angle back toward you so they won't topple into the river on a strike. I used this same setup for a year or two till I moved to baitcasters. With the long sturdy sticks and your rod standing almost straight up and resting on the 3rd or 4th eye, all that flexes is the tip. This lets the line come out easy and doesn't put much strain on the holder. Find some gammaktsu octopus hooks no less that 8/o, 3 to 4 oz of lead and you're set.