Flathead Catfish Questions-Help needed

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by WVflatty, Feb 6, 2006.

1. WVflatty

WVflatty New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    First off when is the flathead season , second there is a small river that runs near my house almost creek size probably 25 to thirty foot wide and im guessing 2 to8 foot deep, im sure there should be some big cats in it right?, would i fish it like a pond or is there more involved. also could i still use my beloved gold fish for bait ,any help would be greatly apreciated . thank for having here on the BOC:cool:

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    only one way to find out.:)

goldfish for bait would be great i would think.
    i wouldnt limit myself to just those though.
    id take several types of bait and find out what was in there
    although if the water is cold they may be holed up in deep pockets
    or down stream in bigger deeper channels.

and by the way WELCOME TO THE BOC

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    WV, take a bait catching pole to the river with some worms,crickets,crayfish,bread whatever. use small hooks and fish on bottom. whatever you catch will be what the flatties are eating. Won't have to buy as many goldfish that way,plus bait native to the water you fish usually struggle more when thrown into hungry flathead lair. Assuming the bait is legal to use. Check the regs. Also you should explore a couple mile stretch and put most of your effort in the deepest most snag-infested hole you can find. Flatheads love overhead cover (log-jams).

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Welcome to BOC!!! I usually start around the time the water reaches 52 to 54 degrees. They can be caught in cooler water its just really hard. They are most definitely in deeper holes at the moment in cold water. Look for lots of cover (wooded, rock)when fishing the river. Shallow flats outside of deeper holes and cover are great. Outside edges of undercut banks on bends... also good

5. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WV dont limit yourself to just goldfish for bait. s-man has a very good point,find out whats in that river/creek. small bait pole with some worms. That will let you know what is native bait for those cats. I use fresh gills & cut bait here. Thats what I prefer. But I dont limit myself on bait. Good luck :thumbsup:

6. WVflatty

WVflatty New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That is some good info im just excited its almost flatty time!!!

7. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    WV not sure which drainage you are on here in WV but for Flatheads you must be in the Ohio drainage as there are NO flat heads in Potomac, lots of channels.The Mon, Kanawa, New ect. all have flats in them:)

8. WVflatty

WVflatty New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes the mud river does run off the ohio river. so it should have some flats in it right?:cool:

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    some of my favorite fishing i do is in a small creek. ive caught flathead and some enormous channel out of there. when im out there, i always take a sein if im with a buddy, or a throw net. you can get both at walmart for cheap which work fine.
    the minnows i catch are what i use. it can be a pain finding them sometimes but its part of the experience.
    when the waters warm i always wade the creek, one time for 6 miles. that was a nightmare. but i would wade a ways upstream and downstream of where you can access the creek and try to find some deep pockets. my creeks so small getting your hair wet would be a deep hole, and fish that hole.
    catching monster fish isnt my goal when i go to the creek though. its more the experience and seclusion which i like.

10. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I WOULD AGREE DONT LIMIT YOURSELF TO JUST ONE KIND OF BAIT

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing I will add is, don't be surprised if you catch a turtle or two. ;) lol

12. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Once you start to get 60deg. days and the water temp. on the average is 50-55deg. Although hard, you can catch them. But you dont catch them on a regular basis to about the end of May. The creek/river that your talkin about probably aint much smaller than our river that were fishin, if you have an 8ft. hole in our river your in one of the deepest holes. About bait I think bluegill does just fine, as long its lively. I use 3-5in. baits. Look for outside bends thats loaded with trees and downed timber.

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You got some REALLY good stuff in a short space. You also got a little time left before peak fishing. Nothing would benifit you more than to research the vast amount of information already covered in previous posts. By doing that, yer more likely to learn things you don't even know to ask yet. Still like dinkbuster says 'the only dumb question is the one not asked', so if ya run across something ya can't find an answer for ya can still ask about it. There's a world of stuff to learn here!

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The flatheads usually start up in the spring after water temp reaches about 55. Spawning usually takes place after about 70 degrees water temp.

Try targeting flatheads in that creek. If you are catching a lot of small channel cats then chances are that there are no flatheads there.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you can fish the mouth where it empties into the river start there or the first deep hole upstream from it, and work your way farther up stream as the water continues to warm up to spawning temps. If you can check water temps do so, the creek should be a couple degrees warmer than the river which draws baitfish which draws cats. By the time it hits 60 degrees the cats will be eating everything in sight.

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I bass fish a creek like that it's about 30 feet wide, some holes are 10 feet deep. I've seen some nice ops come out of it. Not real big ones we did catch one about 20 pounds. The one good thing about a small river like you fish, there's only so many places that a fish can go.
    And on a small river it's easyer to find log jams and heavy cover, for a cat to hide in. I'd try the deep holes first then move on to other spots.

17. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    You do have some good stuff going for you for sure. If you look at my gallery, everything in there, minus the large flathead, was caught out of a creek that is between 10 and 60 feet wide (depending on the area, with an average of about 30 feet) and runs anywhere from ankle deep to what I believe is about 10 feet. I have caught channel cats up to 8 pounds out of it, and I havent fished it long at all. If you do use the goldfish, if there are muskrats around they may decide to take a bite off of it, as well as the infamous turtle. However, if all goes well, you are around cover, and the creek flows into a river that isnt too far off, I would say that there is a good possibility that you could get a nice sized flathead out of it.

18. Droptine

Droptine New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Deep hole, snags an outside bend with a live bluegill and hold on!!!!!!

19. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Gold fish,bluegills the bigger the better carp cut then up be sure to hook behind the dorsol fin that way they live longer and move more for that old flathead....have fun :)

20. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It sounds like you fish the same size of creek I do. What I do is fish the biggest ugliest snage I can find. I use live chubs, sunfish, etc on a 3 way rig. Water temp. needs to be at least 55.