Flathead catfish question?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fishermancat1, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    I will be fishing for flatheads tommorow night. The lake i will be fishing at is starting to drain a some. Do i still have a chance off catching a flathead. I'll be fishing a flat area near boating docs at night? :waaaht:

2. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well ive learned that flats like cover like brushpiles, and log jams if there around theres sure to be some flatboys. also big rocks, you never know though you can surly catch something there.

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would just go with your gut on it.. i dont think that the lake draining would really much matter... but i have caught flatheads at a lake here in indiana off a boat ramp with no cover near... keep us posted on any luck you have.. we all here love hearing the stories and seeing the pics... good luck

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    You can always catch them I think you will do alright just remember when flathead fishing have patience.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Try fishing at least one of you're live baits under a float next time. Alot of big flattys are caught around here in lakes under jugs. I've never fished jugs cause I mainly fish a river but on lakes they tend to rise higher in the water column and their eyes are on the top of their heads,(better for looking up). Boat docks are a good place for flats to hide durring the day on a lake without much natural cover like rocks or wood. Especially ones without alot of boat traffic in and out, you know secluded.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    yeah, you gotta chance. If you do it at night, fish a shallow flat with a deep hole and/or cover near by. Always helps if there isn't much action in the spot during the day or night, from other fishermen and boats. But, if there ain't much traffic by the dock, that'll work great also.

-Red

7. Kattywumpus

Kattywumpus New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I seem to have better luck with no visible moon.

8. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    You should be able to get a few if you target them, been my experience that flatties usually move into the shallow flats after nightfall to feed on bait fish, obviously these flat area would be excellent if in close proximity to a deep hole but thats not always necessary I prefer to use live bluegills in this case but thats just my preference other guys swear by cut baits so give it a shot got to be better than watching tv at home no matter what

9. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can't catch 'em if your not there