Flathead catfish question.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smith06, Jun 23, 2006.

1. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont know much about flats. But Im ready to catch 'em. The river I enjoy fishin is a small one (The St. Marys, in Ohio) Most of the holes are shallow. Some holes are 3-6' or deeper. But for the most part you can walk the river. The river is sandy for the most part. There is a vriety of fish, Ive caught Channels (7-8#) saugeyes, bluegill, crappie, drum, carp. And I've heard of pike being caught.

But what I am wondering is if I'd be wasting time goin' after Flats in this river. I hear lots about catchin' flats in the big rivers. Is this river big enough? May sound like a stupid question, but Im a bit ignorant on the subject.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if that river flows INTO or OUT of Grand lake, with no barriers (like dams), then it no doubt has flatties in it. all the rivers ive seen up that way resemble creeks so i doubt if anything of any size is in it. i didnt find out until a few years ago that lake had flatties in it. apparently the state stocked them in there to try and controll the stunted channels.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Fish that spot at night using live or fresh cut bait. If they are in there you should get lucky.

4. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, this river does flow from the Grand Lake. I'll definitely give some chubs or some bluegill a try in their. Thanks guys.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would try it. i cought my 20-25 pound blue in 8 feet of water,and i have heard of them being cought in less.
    hope this helps.

6. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my 52lb flathead came out of about 2ft of water. there may be many like you and skip over that stretch of water, then there maybe be some bigguns lurking in there. you just have to wet a line and try....

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I regularlly fish a small stream about a mile from a big river. Not very many people think it holds anything. But theres hole at a bend behind the cornfield that is deeper and we never know what is in there. Flats, channels, baass, carp.gills any thing and everything sometimes. The cats show up at night. I always wonder where the are at during the day as we dont catch them till dark, same spot and bait used both times, unless it is cloudy then the cats come out.
    Try it after dark.good luck.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Like everyone else has said, just because a creek is small, does not mean there are not some nice flats in it. There are two creeks near where I grew up, sound very similar to what you describe, maybe even smaller that I grew up fishing, and fished hard while I was in HS. Although these creeks are no knows for any monster flats, you could regularly catch a stringer FULL of flats from 5lbs up to 25lbs. Plus, since they are small, and relatively shallow, you can wade from hole to hole and cover a lot of water with ease.

9. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for all the info. I just usually use cutbait while fishing it but I get tired of the channels. (Anywhere from 2-8#) And was wondering if I could hooks into something bigger If I really tried. Thanks to all of ya, I might try to hit it after work tonite.

10. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i like to fish sugar creek in indiana and it sounds a lot like your creek. ive caught several 5# flats with worms trying to catch channels. a couple years ago i caught a 20# in about 3 feet of water about 7 or 8 miles from the mouth of the river, and this year a buddy caught two +-25#'s in one night about 15 miles upstream of the mouth.
    if i were you i would try to catch some of the pumkin seeds found in those smaller creeks and use those for bait, channels like those too.