Flathead catfish question - Spooked

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beaneye46, May 2, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    during certain times of the year, the flathead really start feeding heavy, and i have seen times when a fish will get so close to the bank you can almost see its back coming out of the water. and the way i know it there, is when a flashlight gets turned on or theres some movement on land and that fish will get spooked and take off leaving a massive wake and a loud splash. my question is are those flathead coming in so close to feed on baitfish. because the times when theyre that close is when i produce some of the most and largest flats.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cody, yes you are right. Try having a lantern lit behind you and you get up and cast a shadow and the water in front of you turns into one big boil. Now that's disapointing. Vern

3. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    I try never to use a light while flat fishin at night.always heard that light will spook em,and be as quiet as you can.Boated lots of nice flats next to the bank..ur humble servant beartrap:smile2:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ask mellon or flathunter about the flashlight,I've heard that mellon likes to play with flashlights while out fishing.

5. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with arlington on this one. I have seen numerous fish, both carp, Flatties, and also Walleye hit the surface right up to the bank. It is quite an awesome site be in complete silence and have one of those break the water right in front of you.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It could be anything really. In my locla lake when this happens I am usually able to identify the fish before it leaves and more often than not its carp.

7. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Ive had flats up to 40lbs hit my bait while I was reeling in my bait maybe 5 to 10 feet from the bank.

8. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if i am fishing from the bank i will throw out about 10' from the bank, and on the flash light talk flats dont like the light that is why if i am fishing around snag i will use a light to scare it back out or away from it.

9. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It could also be beaver as they slap there tail as a warning to other beaver. I have actually snaged into a beaver while reeling in with in about 6-10 feet away from the bank.

And I tell you what, I have never hooked into a flathead but I'm not sure if any fish could strip off the line like that beaver did.

10. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Beaneye I night fish from the bank alot in the Ohio and the area I fish has alot of 2-6' deep flats before it drops off to 20-35' deep. I always like to check out the shallows with a spotlight before I pack up and call it a night. I have seen big flats channels and blues, Gar, carp, and smallmouths all cruising the bank in 1-2 ft of water.