Flathead Catfish Question for you?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Brian Moyse, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    My son and I have never fished for flatheads exclusively and wanted to give it a shot this year. We have fished for channels in the past and have actually caught a few flatheads in those spots. I really want to try and have my son catch a nice flathead this year. We fish the Mississippi River on Pool 13. We tend to fish the lower pool where there are alot of stump fields and old channels. The stump fields are probably in about 5' of water or so.

Do these fish hold in these stump fields or do they tend to hang out in the deeper channels?

I see the commercial fisherman putting nets along the edges of the stump fields so I am assuming thats where the fish are. Would they hold on the edges of these fields or do you think they would be throughout the stump fields as well?

I was thinking if they are in those stump fields a rig almost like a drop shot rig may allow us to cover a bunch of water. But are you better off setting up and leaving the baits stationary than constantly moving the baits as in drop shotting?

I appreciate everyone's help. I really just don't know where to start it is such a big river.

Thanks!

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The flatheads probably move into the shallow stumps at night in search of baitfish so fishing the edge would be a good bet,also try to fish right in the stumps but fishing in the stumps you will lose tackle and fish but that`s how it goes when chasing flatheads.You will need quality line though and good hooks as well ,I`m sure someone wil be along to touch on those subjects.I mainly use cut bait or live bait, bluegills, suckers,etc. Hope this helps, good luck .

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC. I would start with smaller holes/rivers like what you describe and you should have great success.

4. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome and I think you will do fine in that area.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hell I'd bet there sleeping in those stumps right now! If you see those nets just remember that dude with the net is catching your flatheads dinner. If there are that many fish in the area you can damn well garauntee there are flathead feeding on them! Go fish it and post the picks. As far as drop shot rig just remember this. Live bait is best and when your fishing by all those stumps you need to keep that baitfish out of them so make sure you use enough weight.

6. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Brian -

Those stump fields are probably home to some nice flatheads. I would recommend doing a little pitching to those stumps and logjams. Same technique as pitching for bass only instead of a plastic lizard or other bass type trailer on your weedless jig I would recommend a healthy piece of cut bait. Use any of the standard weedless bass jigs from 1/2 oz to 1 oz in size and pitch it into those stumps and logjams.

You will need a good heavy action flipping stick to wrestle those flats out of the timber. I would use at least 50# test or higher superline with no stretch to be able to set the hook and horse them into the clear.

Start on the outside edge of the stumpfield and systematically work your way into the field. Don't spend a lot of time on each piece of cover. Pitch it in, work it back nice an slowly and move on to the next flip. This is a daytime approach and I would work it during the day and on up until nightfall.

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    With all that cover flatheads are having a feast.

8. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Comanchero,

Thanks for your post! That is even a better idea than a drop shot rig. Be able to cover more water quicker with a jig, and probably less hang ups. I have a couple of musky casting rods with 6500's with 65# braid on them. I think that will be a good combo.

9. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    steve,
    your the only other person i have ever heard mention pitching for flatheads, we do it in a couple spots on my home river and have great success! only exception is we use live bait with no weight just a hook, has anyone else used this technique? we have caught several 20's and countless under 20, pitch around big boulders, log any cover in shallow water at night.. its very productive!