Flathead Catfish quest

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by azhunter23, May 6, 2009.

1. azhunter23

azhunter23 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi guys

Just wanted to say thanks for a great site. I have been fishing for channel catfish for as long as I can remember. I am ready to make the move to Flatheads and hope to hook into one soon. I am looking at getting a new combo and with all of the research that I have been doing on this site I think I am going to get the kingkat combo from cabelas with the 6600cb. I have a few questions I was hoping to get some answers on first. I will be fishing out of a 21' tahoe deck boat. Mostly fishing main lake but might venture up the river a little. So with that said: Rod length 6'-6" or 8' the do not sell a 7' in the combo. And what type of Line?

Thx.

2. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I would go with 6'6 rod. The 6600 reel will do the job for. Just put some 25lb berkley big Game and you are set

3. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Welcome brother!

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the sight bro. I think that 6'6" rod length is way good enough. my rods have 50lb power pro on them and that works best for me whenever I end up in a snag.

5. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Chris, Welcome to the BOC from Texas.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the BOC,,
    As far as tackle,, there's plenty of good stuff around, if you want a 7' rod, you can find one,, I use 7' myself, and have many,, seems to be the best length for me..
    If using Braided fishing line, would go w/ 80-100#
    I use mono, 30# and up to 50#, just personal preference..

Recently found out about Musky rods, they're built fairly stout,
    I also, build my own, and use those!!
    Basically, If you get something, It doesn't have to be the last bit of tackle you buy,,!!!
    Bait clickers on the baitcaster reels are a favorite feature I like to use,,
    anyhow,, good luck, on your fishin', keep us posted..

7. azhunter23

azhunter23 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks guys for all of the info. Can't wait to try out the baitcaster. I have only used the slimline one for bass fishing.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d go with the 8ft.If you got a little slack in your line when you set the hook,it,the 8 will pick it up better.If your only gonna use this setup for flats then I,d go with 80# braid,if your gonna use it as a multi purpose setup then I,d go with 65# braid,you,ll be able to make longer casts with that.I,d either go with Tuf-Line or power pro.WELCOME.:big_smile:

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Braid vs Mono is going to mainly be personal preference.. There are some situations where one is better than the other...

For Mono, I'd recommend going with Ande over Berkly Big Game.. 25 - 30# should be plenty if you use the rod and drag correctly....

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from So. Alabama And I think would stay with the 6'6" rod and spool the reel with 30# big game Just my 2's

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I say the 8' with 65#power pro the 6'6"isn't rated very heavy. I have the 8'er and it's pretty nice.