Flathead Catfish Q&A Thread Part 2!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let's start a new thread for all the great questions and responses the first thread brought towards flatheads ! Thanks to all that participated in the first, and maybe it can be placed somehwere for review for those who want to see it in the future! I look forward to another one of these though, and know its gonna be as good or better than the first with all the knowledgable flathead guys here!!! :wink: thanks.... rollo

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i really enjoyed the first also.i learned,as well as i hope edumacated a couple too,lol

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Jason:

OK I'll start it OFF with ? #1.& 2 --I have done this on several occasion's.:cool2: Honestly:big_smile:

#1,,Are BIG Flatheads Territorial Homebodies ?

When and after you catch a Big Flathead 30+lbs and CPR.
    and go back to the same area in the next few yrs-

#2,, Have you ever caught the same Fish in or around that same area? ( as far as you can tell, It the same fish? )

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    glad this is back as it is one of my favorite threads. i think big flatties are teritorial to a point. i have caught the same one again or have seen it happen. but i also think that the territory changes depending on things like food availability,water and weather conditions and time of year. based on all of the variables you can expect the biggest fish to stake out and claim as their own the best spots for themselves and not tolerate others on their turf.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    i would say they are territorial,maybe more or less at a resting spot.if they are feeding,they may travel quite a ways to get to food.

i would say yeah,you can catch that same fish a few years later if it is lucky enough to escape the fork!!!!!
    i think fish can go back to the same place year after year if that is a good foraging and also resting area.

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Believe it or not but my dad witnessed me catching the same flathead 2 weeks later in the same area with the same battle scars from spawning.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I believe Flatheads to be the most territorial fish there is. They have their favorite places to hunt for food. They have their favorite logs to lay under and when " CPR'D" I believe in a very short period of time...they return to the excact same spots that they have always used. Of course ....I fish a smaller lake for flatheads and this might make a huge difference say compared to a larger body of water. We have caught some of the same Flatheads that we have "CPR'D" before. Sometimes in as little as 2 weeks later. We take good photos and accurate weights and take note of any scars or recognizable features. This past april...I caught a 43.1 lb Flathead and we CPR'D it and 2 weeks later it appeared as though Griz caught the very same Flathead in the very same spot and it weighed 45.3. It was spawning and fattening up very quickly. JMO. Thanks:big_smile:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well said, you just saved my fingers some work typing! LOL...good questions and posts guys....rollo

9. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Has anyone heard of putting red reflective tape on the leader above the bait to simulate blood to make the bait look injured to create a faster strike from flatheads?
    Thanks, jason

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    never heard of that one.the smell of the tape might throw the fish off,though?

11. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thats what i thought just figured I'd ask and see what you guys thought.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I have to agree TOO!. I also fish smaller Lakes and such and do know just like john,after the pics and the long looks at the battle scars, you can almost watch them grow into a fine trophy!!:big_smile:For 3 yrs in a row I know I caught the same fish that is in my avatar 4 different times off the same point of a rock ledge suspending a 4-5" bluegill or shiner at 6-7' each time, So I think it goes for Blues too! that are confined to smaller bodies of water.

But When it comes to Flatheads I must have caught the same fish several times/ exactly on the same rock flats/besides dead-falls or stumps,,Theirs this one spot/cove that has water/ sediment build-up on a down-hill valley that has filled up quite a bit,on one side there is a rock ledge that runs for about 40'or so and this sediment has built up over the yrs up to the edge of this about 25'out, then on a steep incline drops into 16'of water that has stumps and boulders all over it,then it comes back up on the other side of the cove that is lined with stump cutoffs and rock that finally runs into another rock flat,,this place /AREA I have caught several different Flatheads on different occasions,And each has their own little area to lay..,The scars and nipped fins are like tattoo's,you never forget them when you see them..

Thanks for the replies Guys, I knew I wasn't the only one!!:big_smile:

Thats really a good feeling knowing that if you put them back you might catch them another DAY!!:big_smile:

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    may make some mad and may surprize some but i use to noodle and i went ever day during the season and started back up just fore the water started to cool off in the fall.most dont know it but catfish especialily flatheads stat using holes under rocks and in hollar logs and under cut banks in late fall.ive caught the same fish 4 times in 4 weeks out from under the same rock and came back in september and caught him or her again.flatheads are gonna stay close to home and food just like us old folks.

14. welder350

welder350 New Member

State:
    pa
    i was fishing with a red kahle hook and i got a nice hit he took my bait to the bottom and broke my hook at the eye about 3 hr latter i got a 22pd flat with a red kahle broke at the eye so i have to say they come back

15. justaredneck

justaredneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i live right next to the kansas river where i know there are loads of trophy catfish but i have never fished a large fast moving river and i will be bank fishing. i have a wife and 2 young kids so anything u can tell me to eliminate unproductive water quickly i would appreciate i have no problem with trial and error or scouting my area but always being pressed for time i dont want to just chuck something out there in the middle of noware and hope for the best. i would rather learn how to fish the river than be taken to someone elses hole so i will take all the advice you guys have no matter how small. just because it is common sence for u dont assume i already know it. thanks and have a merry christmas and a happy new year:big_smile:

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when i scout for new river spots i look for fallen or down trees in the water basically some type of cover, i look for outside bends in the river, those tend ta be deeper channels, and when that fails i look for a cleared area with some Y-sticks set up, then ya know someone fishes there and they took the time ta clear the spot for a reason :big_smile:

17. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    good advice Lenny you know your stuff:wink:

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    another thing i do is if i don't get any action after about 20 mins. i'll reel in a few feet, that gets my bait(live sunny) moving around just incase it found a hiding spot, that might also move your bait into a channel or some type of strike zone, and if ya do get one in that area, hit that spot again ta see if its a honey hole :wink:, another trick i do is i scuff the side of the sunny to release some of its scent or slim coat

19. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    seen quit a few bothers replying about fishing smaller impounds, i fish a 15 acre lake and know the big boys and girls are in there, the only problem is we have thrown the complete house at them including the anything in the garage and yet the best we can muster is 5-10 lbers. now we know bigger ones are in there cause atleast 1 over 30lbs. is caught a year, there is cover but not abundant, there is two creeks that feed into the lake and the channels meet and head over to the spill way in the middle of the lake, we have tried shallow-deep, bank-boat, is there something we are missing? any help would be appreciated and i have a aerial photo of the lake if that would help?

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brandon, if you are catching the 5-10 pound fish, then chances are it isn't what your doing wrong, but what you might just simply change. If you know this lake has has bigger flatheads in there, and there must be an abundant supply of them young fish as well, I would try using only huge baits to weed through them lil guys better. I would try using big bullheads, largemouth or smallmouth bass even up to 2 pounds. If there is big flatheads in there, they will take a big bait! If that doesn't work, then you may study it more to see where maybe there is something your not seeing such as sunken structure that are holding the larger dominant fish to....rollo