Flathead catfish problems ?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by ayokay005, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Im hearing from guys at the pub and parks that the flathead cats are becoming a nuisance in my local river ! Heard rumors of signs being posted as to bank the fish and let them pass away ? Havn't seen such sign , but why?

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well now this one gets me aggrevated. Why would anyone want to do that ? If the rivers are over populated with flatties then I would be taking whatever I could catch to a few private ponds so atleast their not thrown up on a bank to die.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    they are starting to catch flatheads in the susquehanna and potomac rivers/ Talking with Maryland fisheries they hope that anglers will kill them as they think it will hurt other bait fish if they get ahold on the rivers. I myself not think that way as 3 years ago they was asking everybody to keep all the blue cats as they would over run the river and hurt the bait fish. But the number of shad and herring have went up over the last 3 years. I haven't seen the signs but know they are coming and i for one will not remove a flathead just to remove it. state record or one or two to eat other then that live on fish on

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Flatheads can become a problem in waters that they aren't native to. Not everyone out there is a Flathead angler. To a panfisherman invasive flatheads can be a big problem.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    GO Getum Mr.Flathead!! Chomp,Chomp,Chomp.eat Everything You can get in your mouth and grow real BIG. because we all Know There Not going to land you on them Fly rods and that Bass gear!LOL And We might even Convert them Folks To the FUN and Challange of Catching One of the Hardest Fighting Fish that swims in our Rivers and Lakes. :big_smile:

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i agree with you john they ever get ahold of a nice flathead maybe it will change there tune.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I say:

1) Maybe the state or DNR can build a nice size lake for trophy catfishing.
    2) Hold flathead catfish tournaments in the waters where the flatheads are unwanted.
    3)Transfer these flatheads to the new lake and stock it.
    4)Open the new lake up to the public.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Now that sounds like a plan.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    They are all great thing that could be done but the trouble is that everything here around Maryland is Bass and all they see is the $$$$ well i'm working hard to show them that catfish tournaments can be right up there with them. At the meeting catfish has someone to talk up for them now and I hope to make a differents in the way people see the catfish here in Maryland. I use alot of stuff from site and hope that we can change some of the laws here to help better catfishing in maryland.

But until then remember all fish have a right to live so if you ain't going to eat it put it back for some to catch again. CPR will let our kids and their kids enjoy what we love so much fishing.

10. ProVer

ProVer New Member

State:
    Germantown, MD
    Caught a flathead on two of the last three trips out on Potomac. One was about 8 lbs and the other about 3.

I was really surprised and had to look twice since at first I thought they looked like a deformed Blue and/or Channel.

11. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Who knows, maybe they'll be the answer to controlling the snakeheads! :big_smile:

Mike

12. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Those people need to try eating one occaionaly. Ain't nothing like them flatheads fried up fresh. grizzly

13. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I know u won't find me doing anything like that....I don't like to watch any fish have to suffer like that and if its a good size fish,I'll do my part and eat that bad boy but not just going to let somthing go to waste like that.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    just like the susky, the schuylkil here in pa has flatheads that are not native. according to the fish and game people, the flatties will eat up the shad, sunfish, trout, and bass. but just like tim hagans said, there is more fish than ever!!! at least they respect them!!!

15. Aquakeeper

Aquakeeper New Member

State:
    Maryland
  16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Catch them, tank them and truck them to Nebraska, PLEASE!!!!!

17. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hold some tournies for charity. Or have some charity fish fries. Fish and chips. Yum Yum.

18. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I agree with Dick. If u catchem and dont want them give them to someone who does im sure theres always someone who'll take free fish and if not like he says just have a big fish fry. Dont let such a nice fish go to waste.