Flathead catfish primer needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Will Random, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Will Random

Will Random New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm used to channels but I know there're flatheads nearby.

What I need is:

1) Equipment? rod, line, bait, tackle, etc...

2) Where? I'm in the Cleveland Area & I know Coshocton & Muskigum Watershed are Flathead locals. Rumors of them in Findlay Reservoirs. I need public access, I can't afford to pay to go fishing.

3) Technique? I prefer shore fishing but should I take my canoe for better luck? Is there a difference in the fishing technique of shore v. boat fishing?

4) Maybe I need a mentor come to think of it, eventhough I'm pushing 40.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Will Random.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to THE BOC. Help is on the way lol.:go::0a23:

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    your never to old for mentors.im 65 and with the help of a few guys on this site im catching bigger fish than i ever cought on my on.welcome to the boc its the best place i ever saw for free advice.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC. If I lived in Cleveland, I would hop on 77 and drive down to Salt Fork, Senecaville, the Muskingum, Tuscarawas or Wills Creek. There is plenty of shore access although I firmly believe the lesser known "honey" hole are where a shore fisherman cannot reach, although one of my fishin partners has caught a 31 and a 38 from 2 different waters and 2 different shorelines. Read through the sections on here and ask more specific questions for help. Hint: Do you know how to use a bobber while catfishing? Have you ever used a castnet? Do your friends guffaw at the size of your hooks?

Welcome aboard,
    Shawn (Coshocton, Ohio)

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the boc great bunch of people here that will help you with what ever your need is.

6. Will Random

Will Random New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was on BOC back before the new site; this is going to take some getting used to. I was predominantly concerned with channel cats but was interested in new fishing techniques.

I got some neat info on using balloons (specially with light sticks in 'em).

Thanks 'Loan for making me realize I've gotta go a lot bigger. The past year I've been fishing the Rocky River for Smallies and trout -- needless to say, I've gotten in a "smaller the better" mind set.

Thanks for all the "Welcome"s, also. I always fealt we fishermen, trappers & even most hunters are a few of the last hold outs of Polite Sportsmen/women. We'll give what advice we can to any new person that shows an interset but our favorite spots are reserved for specific friends and family (as it should be).

'nough rambling, gotta check the site for more specific info.

Thanks all,

Will Random.

7. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri

pole = you can never go wrong with an ugly stick

line = there are a lot of fans of power pro braid, but i'm a big game fan myself

reel = overall concensus is an abu 6000 or better

bait = if you want flatties, its got to be live and kickin, shad, gills, bullhead to name a few

tackle = hooks are mostly kahle or circles big enough to to hold the bait and still give enough point clearance for good hook ups; enough weight to keep it on where you want it; quality swivels so the curret doesn't start tying knots in your line

where i can't help you on

i'm a shore fisherman, but i would still have to say boat is better, more opertunities

mentors are always good

and welcome to the BOC

8. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Your tackle will probably end up reminding you of ocean gear:crazy: before it's all said and done. I use 8 to 9' rods. My big one's a Phil King endorsed rod from Cabela's ( King Kat, I believe). I've got an Abu Garcia 7000 series reel with 40# Berkley Big Game line on it. I'd recommend this outfit to anyone and for any size cat. I like Garcia reels. They're very tough, well built reels and will last for years of hard use. They are a little pricey, though. Use hooks that are the right size for your bait. Don't worry about hiding your hook. Cats don't know what a hook is. If you go flat fishing out of a canoe, you will officially be the craziest dude I've ever met:wink: Providing it doesn't capsize, you'll be in for one helluva ride. You can, however, use it to get to hard to reach spots that other shore fisherpeople and even boaters, can't get to. Try using bluegill, sunfish, carp/suckers or bullheads. Glodfish are good too. You can't go too big either. Get a subscription or go pick up some issue of Catfish Insider. This is an excellent pub. put out by Infisherman Magazine. Try thier website. I've never been there but I'm sure it can answer some of your questions.Check out what the folks on this site are using as far as boats/ rod holders. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this site:big_smile:

9. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    I use a 9 and 8' king cat rods from cabelas, and both are set with the abu 6600 (the red one) i love both, i'm strung up with 30# right now, i'll see how it does me, i still haven't made the switch to braid, river fishing takes a toll on braids.

10. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I got a 6600 too (I think it's a cfts) It's got a catfish engraved on the side. Take care of 'em & they'll last forever.

11. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    You can catch flatheads in any backwater that has some depth. Wait for a good rain and you can catch them in the shallows. Get a cast net. If you have never used one, a smaller dia is easier to cast. Live bait works good but i have caught a lot of flatheads off cut shad, and dead skipjack.. As long as you have some current most baits look alive enough for a flathead. I agree 100% you cant go wrong with an ugly stick and ambassador reels. I like Yo-Zuri mono, 40#. Using a slip rig with no roll weights and beads. When you get your rods make sure they have some backbone. Tough to get a good hook with a flimsy rod.. Take a video camera if you take your canoe you could get some wild footage if you hook into a good one..

Good luck

12. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    as far as useing canoe no way i would my boat is only 14 ft and i get pulled around in that but u may be braver than me good luck

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont fish from a canoe or small boat unless its anchored or tied off.flatheads are more oreintated to structure than the other cats and when scaired or spooked they head for home.some times you have to hog them or lose them and you cant do that out of to small a boat.