Flathead Catfish Population Density by Weight

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Overkil, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sometimes I wonder about how many flathead of a certain weight class are in a particular body of water. Do you guys wonder the same thing? When i say weight class, for example 40lb class would be 40-49lbs, etc. Let's say Bartlett Lake, since that lake has been the topic of conversation lately.

I'm 100% confident that if I snapped my fingers and instantly removed all of the water from the lake (and up river a ways) I'd find at least one or two 60lb fish, and probably a few dozen 50lb class...maybe several dozen 40lb class and hundreds of flatheads in the 20lb - 40lb range...or am I being too generous?

I bet for roosevelt there's at least one or two flatheads that are 90lbs or above...maybe they're just smart enough not to get caught...or we're just not using 10lb bass for bait :)

Thoughts??

2. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i also wonder bout the samething. im heading there fri and hopin to hook mr.big :0a32:eek:ld dave flatcats caught a 62lber there a yr or 2 ago. and put him back. so hes mine.

3. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i might start buyin whole chickens and fish the dam.:0a23:

4. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I bet you drain Roosevelt, and you will find some over 100 pounds, and many in the 40-50 range, and lots in the 30 range. Especially if you drained it from salt inlet to the diversion dam, to salt outlet.

5. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Mark, let us know when you're going to drain it so we can come watch.:cool2:

6. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I can help drain it, I can use the pump it takes to drain my pool in two hours. LoL

7. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :big_smile::big_smile:

8. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i bet there is definatly a world record in rosie and san carlose. there is alot of ppl that catch a lot of 40s and 50s out of the salt i have seen them but most ppl just dont post it

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    You forgot to add, if the bait is caught at same lake! Flatheads are pretty notorious for discrimination!

10. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah i trust them as much as a crack head with a 20 doller bill thay get most of there info from us the ppl that fish

11. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the replies! It's interesting to see what everyone thinks...

12. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i bet there is a state record in bart now. and 2 credible guys i know well 2 me, they met 1 night when the old 1 had a fish so big he couldnt reel him in. and the other guy ran to help and saw the fish and swears it was 100+lbs. i cant give that spot but its in the river.

13. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    :0a23: You mean he's mine "LOL"

14. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Well you guys better get out there before I do, my boat is almost complete, and the new moon is on the 18th!

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I bet there is a lot bigger fish in most bodies of water than we think..the one that got away is always bigger the next day..or maybe we just dotn realize how big some of them are...im with these guys though..when you drain it i want to be there :wink:

16. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    you also have to think mybe the big one has been hooked but alot of ppl go out with little poles and 12lb line and there line breakes. at the marina at bart there is a pic of a guy that caught a 50lb flat on a micky mouse pole

17. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hearing that just pisses me off cause ive spent a lot of money on good rigs.that happened to me fri bout noon i had pink power bait tryin to get more gills and something hit it and ran i could not get control of him at all. i have 6lb on my pole it ran for 30secs and when i tried to adjust my drag it just snapped:angry:

18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    How many timeS have you got a snag :confused2: and you drag it toward you,:angry: only it hangs up, so you break off ,:confused2: then you think , :cool2: WAS THAT A FISH ? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    quite a few times....and i try not to think about it cuz then i wonder all night what if???and theres nothing worse than a case of the what ifs...