flathead catfish piggies :D

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by jibble, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jibble

jibble New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    First post!

Ok, down to business. I'm in search of some flatheads. I've been to horseshoe dam and a few places along the salt to no avail, but that was a month or two ago...

I've never had much luck fishing lakes for flatheads, and seem to have better luck in the river systems. I'm not from here, so i need a little hint on a few places to go this time of year..

I was thinking a bit further down river from Horseshoe Dam, or possibly the upper salt, but i think the salt is still pretty chilly water temp wise (~59degrees at granite reef this morning)

Thoughts? Any hints on where a guy could pick up a few flatheads?

2. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    We should hook up and go flatheading. I have several spots, and all my fishing buds hate catfishing, they are Bass only, I live in East Mesa

3. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know that area well but stick to the cover flatheads love the cover.

4. Rebel986

Rebel986 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im looking for a catfish partner. I havent caught a flathead ever but thats my goal. Im kinda tired of small channels. If you want to hook up and flathead fish sometime... Let me know.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Lets go, I livein east Mesa, where are you located? PM me your number

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was at the Verde above Bartlet last night. Air is cold, but the water temp is 70*

Good luck~

7. Rebel986

Rebel986 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I live in Red Rock Az, right next to Marana. It wont let me pm till i have 10 posts lol. Do you fish from shore or a boat? im new to AZ fishing here. Ive only caught one channel. Im from Georgia and its a lot different fishing here. Im ready to hit the water! :wink:

8. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Andy, did you do any good up there? Water temp looks like its getting good. When I went in March it was 59, a little too cold for me.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Seems like the flats are spawning... I caught quite a few flats, (11) but they were all juveniles.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    A friend of mine has been hitting Bartlett, and having some success.. I fished Roosevelt a few times till about December, and haven't been since,, but, It may be picking up,
    Other than that I don't know about any other areas..
    Except the Colorado River, and the fishing is picking up there in the main channel. in the Blythe, Ca area.
    The back water canals I fish are at a low water situation for some reason, but, seems the fish will still feed..
    BTW, If you're from AZ and fish those, you'll need a CA non-resident license..
    But, for the Main channel, the CO river stamp will be fine..

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey snagged2, You know that fat little flatcat I caught last weekend? We were wondering what it had in it's stomach.... It was chock full of eggs. I noticed last year as well that the small ones seem to be full of eggs before the spawn is actually ongoing. Weird, I don't know the details, it's just an observation.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey,
    Good to hear from you...
    Yea, I saw it was a female, but, didn't suspect it was eggs...
    I really think the spawn here is quite long...