Flathead catfish - Oxbows and falling river

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Rob Heflin, May 5, 2006.

1. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    My local river has jumped 6 feet in 2 days. It should crest by Sunday and start falling rather rapidly if we get no more rain (falls 1-2 feet a day). At the current river level, the water is entering several old river chutes and when the river falls, the water from these oxbows will naturally come back out.

Would it be wise to fish these chutes where the water is flowing back into the river? I'll be using limblines and trotlines; should I set them just down river from the chute? Or should I target the holes in the bends and behind the logjams to catch flatheads seeking refuge from the rapidly falling water?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cats of all kinds can be caught at the foot of these type places as long as the water is running. Blues and channels go up in them quite a bit, but I never catch flathead in them. Seems they don't trust the "new" or something. Also, cats are the very first out of a place like that.

3. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I like to fish chute and oxbow inhigh water.Ihave to agree with sinker,the water goes down cats are getting out of town.:cool2: