Flathead catfish or Blue catfish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Which one offers the better fight, considering both are close to the same size? Bluecat or Flathead?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    blue cat like hooking a bulldozer there all solid. a flathead is hollow in the head. dont get me wrong they do fight but a blue fights better i think

3. KittenFishin

KittenFishin New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    In my opinion I think flatheads fight harder. Blue cats take the bait hard and will bend your rod all the way to the water. But they usually roll to the top for me and it isn't too hard to get them in. Flatheads barely take the bait, usually a slow bite. And at first it is hard to tell how big the fish is, but once he gets near the boat he'll fight until the end. they never want to come off of the bottom. I usually have to hand the rod over to my boyfriend at that point, b/c they are likely to pull me right into the lake.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Come on Kitten, you ned to land them fish yourself.

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Ive never caught a blue, so I say flathead...:smile2:

6. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    There aint nothin like having a big flathead on your line about 30ft deep sittin under your boat. They refuse to come off the bottom. I've caught blues up to 42lbs and none of them have fought like an ole shovelhead.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hands down it would have to be a flathead.
    When you get a blue to the boat or bank, the fight is over.
    When you get a flathead to the boat or bank(the first time) the fight has just begun, LOL!!! If he is of any size I would suggest that you loosen your drag a little just before he hits the surface, cause this is where alot of them are lost(snap).

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have caught thousands of blues, but no flathead. Man I am dying to tie into one. They sound like they fight like sharks. Don't laugh...I fishing the brackish waters at Edisto Beach in South Carolina and we were catching sharks about 3ft long. They would turn into devils at the site of the boat making several runs for the bottom before tiring out.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you do manage to hang a big Flathead, you are in for a treat!!!

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Blues are my favorite fish mostly because of aggresivness and willing to bite.But they aint nothin in fresh water that fights like a flathead its sorda like a D-8 catapillar on your line and they never give up.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Most people chase blues because they are readily available, an ole flathead is less likely to be caught but the shear power of an ole yellow is more than wurth the wait. To many guys pass over the flats because they want action but definetly an flathead is the king of the water with his/her power. I would rather sit an wait for one big flathead than catch a boatload of blues any day.

12. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would say flathead, they like to test your fishing rig when you get them close to the boat.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Great replies guys, I would agree 100%, but I thought it was just because I had never caught a big blue yet.

I recently fished for what is the most similar fight, and bite to a flathead, with the action of channel cat fish. We fished for Reds out of Chorpus Christi a few months back. Med. tackle with spinning rods and 10lb big game line, they fight just like a big flat. I caught one about 15lbs, took 35 minutes to get him to the boat 4 times! Never felt the power like some of the runs this fish took!

14. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    pond for pond flathead

15. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i would say flathead but you can go with watever you want to go with.i know my self bigger the bait...bigger the fish:smile2:

16. Mocathunter

Mocathunter New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    I will have to go with the shovelheads. A blue is powerfull as all get out, but he puts it on like a pulling truck, right out the gate; and slows as he goes. The flatties seem to try and apply there power with quickness and rolls, and they won't give up until you drop them in the bottom of the boat.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My opinion is also flatheads,nothing like a big ol p!$$ed off flattie fighting against you.

18. bigcatwannabe

bigcatwannabe New Member

State:
    rowland, nc
    majority of the time a blue fights better but every now and again you get that flathead that just wont give up