Flathead catfish on the Tuscarawas River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatManAndy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'm new to this site and new to flathead fishin and i need some tips to get me started. Im fishin a spot on the tusc. near canal fulton ohio (stark county) and I'm not even sure if there are flatties in it this far north. It seems like it would be a good spot because there are holes about 6-8 ft. deep, but most of the river is about 5 ft. and there are tons of log jams. ill be using goldfish and bullheads for bait. so any tips or suggestion or any input at all would be much appreciated.

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    make sure to hold on when you fish those log jams you may be suprised

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Yeah keep a tight grip on your pole Sounds like there should be fish there. I don't know your area are if there a flatheads there but the spot sounds good.

4. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright thanks fellas. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. It sounds like you are useing good bait and the only way you will know if there are fish there is to fish the spots. Good luck and keep us posted on your catches.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would add creek chubs, suckers and bluegills to your list of baits. good luck

7. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You might also try cuting th tails off your bait. It will bleed, and put out a fresh blood trail. The bait also can't swim as well, making it easier for the cats to nab them. Good fishin', Jack. :smile2:

8. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the help guys. you sure now how to make a guy feel welcome. ill keep ya posted.

9. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
  10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC! I fish the Hocking which is basically the same size. I use gills, chubs and shad. The place i catch em the river comes around a bend then funnels down and empties into a 4-5' deep whole. No logs or brush but them flatties come in there at night to feed. Best flattie caught there weighed 33 lbs. So good luck up there ths year!!

11. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks Roger, there are spots around here that sound very much like what you described ill be sure to give them a try. I'll also be sure to try some of those baits. I can catch all kinds of them in the creek by my house with a minnow seine.

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i fish the TUSC almost exclusively for channels and flatties, the bite has been poor so far this year. i have caught a total of 5 flatties with the biggest one being 9 lbs 12 oz. there are ALOT BIGGER flatties in the TUSC, ive just had NO luck at all this year. my biggest from the TUSC so far is a 15 lbs 1 oz fish but ive hooked alot bigger fish. i prefer LARGE creek chubs and suckers but i will use small bluegills too. i have also caught a few flattie on cut shad also. Where are you from maybe we can try to get together sometime for some fishing ??

Brian

13. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im from clinton its just south of akron. Id like to go with ya sometime. like i said before im pretty new to flathead fishin so itd be nice to learn somethin and learn some places to fish.

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the B.O.C. I don't get up your way to fish but I've seen areas around Canal Fulton I'd like to fish.

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, always great to have another new member. Especially from Ohio. Good luck on the water, dont know much about that river but we have some members up that way.

16. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fished a spot by my house today off a bridge. Didnt catch a thing. I saw a couple really nice channels roll on top of the water though. I was usin night crawlers. I havent had much luck with them in the river this year. But at Nimisila reservoir thats all i use, ive caught a few nice ones on crawlers up there. I was actually just tryin to catch some bullhead for flathead bait, but the turtles kept strippin my hooks. I'm gonna try some cut chubs and suckers next time. Maybe that'll get me some nice channels.