Flathead catfish on the Stanton River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by etownred, Jul 14, 2006.

1. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody here fish the Stanton or Otter Rivers for flatheads?

2. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    not i, just the dan....sorry

3. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I was out on the Stained, Staunton tonight. My grandfather caught a 5 lb channel, and I got skunked. Yes, I fish for flatheads on the Staunton. Anywhere from Lynch Station to Brookneal and points in between. I have camped/fished at the confluence of the Big Otter and Staunton a few times. Next weekend I'm going Staunton River State Park and either fish the Dan or Staunton.

Tight Lines

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I've fished it for Flats. I usually go to Long Island area. Pretty good flatheads in there. I've got a friend in Gladys that catches alot of them there.

5. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm new to the BOC so I'm glad to meet some folks from my area. I was raised in Evington and live in Lynchburg now. I grew up fishing the Big Otter, Stanton, and James. I mostly fish for flatheads. Had a good night on the Otter Saturday! Caught 3 flatheads. 15, 25, & 30lbs. All within a hour. Has anyone ever fish on the Stanton at a place called Melrose.
    I use to fish there alot but I havent been there in about a year.

6. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    how far is the big otter from lynchburg, and which way is it? is it headed towards chatham from lynchburg?

7. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The Big Otter starts around the Peaks of Otter in Bedford county.
    You can get to it on Rt. 460 in Bedford about 20 miles west of Lynchburg. Also on Rt. 29 in Altavista 20 miles south of Lynchburg. It's not much bigger than a creek but it holds some big cats if you know where to look.

8. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    do u fish from boat or bank? i might have to get a buddy and make a trip there one weekend if i get some gas money lol

9. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    From the bank usually. Just find a deep hole with alot of stucture.

10. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    sounds good if we go ill pm u or something a few days before and maybe well met up brother

11. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I've caught a few nice flatheads at Melrose. I didn't fish it much last year and haven't been there this year. That hole gets a lot of pressure and most of the people keep the hawgs, but year after year it produces some very nice flatheads.

12. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC.

13. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Your right, it gets a lot of pressure. Thats why I haven't been there in a while. I think i'm gonna hit Long Island next weekend and try out my jon boat for the fist time. I haven't been there this year and I've never fished it with a boat. Know any good holes with structure?

14. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the welcome.

15. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Does anyone fish the lower Staunton? From Watkin's Bridge to the 360 landing? I'm familiar w/both those launches but have never catfished the river. Anyone got any info - I'd appreciate it. I've just gotten into fishing for the cats and have been staying on the local lakes over here in Farmville. Are there any flatheads in this section of the river? Thanks for any pointers you can give me.

16. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry, never been catfishing in that area. I've been bass fishing at Briery Creeek a few times and sandy river once.

17. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    SRR is pretty good channel cat fishing! Lots of good eaters and some upwards of 10 - 14 pounds! I've been doing really well. Come on over some time - got plenty of room in the boat.

18. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    where u from in VA sandy? u ever fish the dan river?

19. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I used to fish the Dan during the striper runs but I have never fished for cats there. I'm over here in Farmville - 40 mins. east of Lynchburg.

20. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    hmm well if u ever fish the dan river gimmea hollar id be delighted to join ya