Flathead Catfish on the Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by feetdown, Apr 28, 2006.

1. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anybody having any luck yet? Ive heard a couple guys getting some good 20-30lbs. while chasing smallies and saugers.....Slammin their jigs

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'm still debating with myself if I want to try the dam at Eagleport tomorrow night or go to Salt fork for some pre-fishing before this weekend. I have all day at work today to figure it out. Mrflathead just caught a big one at salt fork, Hmmmm?

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    s_man, have you been fishing the river any yet?

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I caught 2 flats sunday night near Ellis dam a 7lb and 12lb. Missed a couple too. Talked to a guy fishing off the wall that said he's been catching them between 10 and 30 pounds this week.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I Got To Get Down There This Summer

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I also wanted to point out the 2 fish I caught were very fat, looked like they were eating everything they could find. Feisty too that 12 pounder kept fighting me in the boat while I was trying to unhook him. Kept twisting, biting, slapping me with his tail. It was great! Both put up alot of pull in the current, I thought both were larger before I got them up to the top. I didn't take a temp reading (left the gauge in the truck) but the water was real cool still.

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I'll probably be heading to the muskingum in a couple of weeks.

8. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was on the Muskingum Sunday in the Coshocton area and the water was only 58*. I was worried the bite would be delayed. I fish Ellis alot I guess Im going to have to load the boat and the baittank and get after it.....

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I figured it was right around 60 degrees or so. The channels are hitting real good at the Ellis tailwaters right now. They keep killing then eventually stealing my 10 to 13 inch live shad. They are in the big eddy that flows back upstream to the middle of the dam. I marked some bigger fish laying on the slope on the end of the washout hole, but couldn't get a good anchor hold in the whitewater to fish for them. I suspect they were flattys.