flathead Catfish on the meramec River in Missouri.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TheMadCatter, May 21, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    well after waiting and waiting it seems the flatheads on the merames have begun to wake up, and start biting.went out last night under 44 bridge right at 270, within 15 minutes the first line got slammed. handed it off to my girlfriend and she fought that sucker for about 10 minutes before the hook popped out. saw some splashes from it.....it was a big guy.
    no sooner than we got it rebaited and back out, my rod start dipping. one was on!
    fought him in towards shore and then it happened..... he jumped out of the water, and got stuck in a bush.....if its not one thing....its another. took off my pants and boots and waded out to get him. ended up being a real nice 10 pounder. got a couple more bites but didnt land anymore after that.
    the bait was live green perch, and judging by the number of bites i think the slump for flatties out in this area might be nearing its end. water temp is up a lot, mid 60's i think.

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im surprised the road wasn't flooded down there. Atleast you had some decent bites. 1 fish is better than no fish. A 10 lb cat from the Meremec is a good fish in my opinion. Maybe me and my GF will see you down there sometime, we fished that location 2 times last year.

Took the day off work today, and am going to fish the Teamsters camp lake here in Pevely. Hope to land some Bass, and Cat's.

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    went back last night a little further upstream, got 2 flatheads this time. one was 11 pounds and the other was 17. the 17 is my girlfriends new personal best. we released both. here is a pic of the 17, its a little blurry because the fish was heavy for her and floppin around.

Attached Files:

4. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those are some huge fish, that had to be a good time. We don't have poles that would even get those huge suckers in (Yet). I'd love to get my GF on one of those huge flatties. Can you offer some advice on where I can get her the pole she needs to land a fish like that? Should I buy her some steel liters? You want to take us fishin and show us how it's done?

Good job man.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Go to BP in ST louie back by the catfishen stuff. Offshore angler surf rods 20bucks for a 8ft 24bucks for a 10ft I got these rods and ya can ask TheMadCatter they work well. Was great to see the look on his face when I slung a snaggen rig 90 yards in to a head wind. They got good flex and back bone for setting a hook or usen circle hooks they got spinning and casting models and can handle up to 40 lb line -- I use 20 to 25 lb mono on mine and whoop some bigg fish. I use em for snaggen, catfishen, and striper fishen. They handle large lures well to with lighter line lol.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    welder is right thats a good deal on rigs.
    i got most of our stuff from walmart: 2 zebco hawg seekers, berkly glowstick (great for night fishing), another berkly,and a shakespere custom. all med to heavy action.
    on the subject of line is were i differ from some. i use 65 lb test spiderwire stealth. as i do most of my fishing from shore i find that when they make a run into stumps or whatever this line will bring them out without breaking on me. its also really hard to see underwater.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    welder is to modest, i believe that was way longer than a 90 yard cast. at first i thought he was gonna hook a fish in kansas.:smile2:

8. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Hey,Catter,good to see you scored some good fish.I get down that way quite a bit ,myself.During summer low water,I put in at Winter Park and fish around Fenton.Don't be surprised if you get a nice Blue.They really are in that area of the river.:big_smile:

9. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    NICE FLAT CATTER!! I was up there wed. and didnt get a bite worth yanking for. Its now sunday 330 pm and the rain is movin in and im seriously thinkin about hookin up the boat and headed up there again.

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    what are you using as bait

11. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    went out again last night, and got 2 more flatheads a 5 pounder and an 8. i thought the 5 pounder was a bit bigger as he dam near pulled the pole out of the holder when he hit.

on the plus side the meramec has come down about 6-8 feet since i was there on thursday.

12. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey catter, i went out and fished the 44 over pass and got 1 9lb 10oz flat and lost 2 in the log jam. I used live sunfish and cut shad. The gar and drum had a feast on the cut bait.

13. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah, they will do that. nice job on the fish. they are really starting to wake up down there, i feel that the ones i have caught so far are just the begining of a real good season. also try live crawdads for bigger channels, and small flatheads.
    good luck to you my friend.

14. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do use crawdads sometimes. Where did u fish at lastnight? I want to go back out today but the wife gave me that look. She just dont understand what flatheads do to a man. If I do go I think I may fish further down stream. That water is dropping like a rock. It dropped a foot the 6 hours I was out.

15. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah watch it out there, if you get into some of those spots when the waters up you might not be able to get out with out dinkin your prop if i drops to much. sent you a pm scaley hope it helps.

16. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got your pm, thanks. My buddy just called and I think we might hit the mississippi, if not we'll be on the meramec.

17. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a great Time. 10lbr thats great great.

18. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    I live here in Pevely Nice to meet ya here neighbor. Hows the fishing over there. Do ya still have to be a member to get in.

19. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nice to meet you too. Well in August the union members will be voting on making the park open to PEVELY residents. If they vote for it, your in. Of corse they want $12.00 a month, that will include swimming in their massive, pool, and rights to the lake. If you never been there, it's awesome. The lake hardly gets any fishing pressure. Most members are there to golf on the 2 championship corses. Make sure you hit me up if you go, I know a few decent places there, a little walk though, but usually worth it.

20. topfuelkc

topfuelkc New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yeah i seen i the paper that they might do that. I guess its good and bad you know you give the general public access and someone always wants to abuse the privilage. I would like to try it sometime. Will get in touch with ya if we are allowed to get in. It would be worth $12.00 to me just to have a close place to go in the evening after work. Live lees than a mile from there. Thanks Ken