Flathead catfish on the lower Mississippi River

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by arky, Aug 6, 2006.

1. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    i was wondering if anyone could give me advice on catching and finding flathead on the lower miss. i heard that the bitwason so i loaded a bunch of live bream and got there at daylight fished all day not one flat head to show for it ,i desperately need help but would really appreciate hearing from someonewho fishes the river in the area of ark,miss, and tenn. PLEASE HELP!! OH I AM ROD AND REEL FISHING

2. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello Arky! Sorry, but I dont have any knowledge of the Miss, but i have been flathead fishing for some time now and I think for flats you might have been fishing the wrong time. This time of year, I cant get a flat to bite until after dark. Later in the fall I can usually get some fishing during the daylight hours. Thats my experience any way. Others on this site can probably help you out more, but if I were you I'd head out again, but this time take your live bream and head out just before dark and give it a shot. Tight Lines and screamin clickers to ya!

3. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks fw , for the advice . i am getting a little dissapointed in the response from such a great bunch of guys . either no one fishes this area or everyone is tight lipped but let me assure them i am no threat to the fish population :crazy: i can't seem to buy a dern flathead:angry: so come on guys let me get a taste of hooking into a big one please help.

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I think the advice so far is right on. The night time is the right time. I don't fish the big river so I am no help there. Maybe getting rid of the green carp in your pic might help. Just kidding man. Come on people help our brother out with some tips. grizzly

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Finding flatheads this time of year is tough from North to South.
    Try:
    -fishing right before & after it rains.
    -fish from 8PM to 7AM (8PM to 1AM is best where I am)
    -try cut bait in addition to live bait
    -fish right smack up to the log jams & snags
    -keep quiet on the bank or in the boat
    -don't let bug spray, gas/oil, hand soap, & such get on your baits or in the water
    -fish more in April, May, & June
    Good luck from a guy who used to fish there (MS & LA) a lot back in 1983.
    Tony

6. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Glad to help arky. The flathead game is tricky sometimes. Some nights I'll get bit all night long. Others, I go all night long with no bites. The key is lively bait and patience. Keep your bait as lively and kickin as possible, get your baits in the water after dark near some logs or other obstruction in the river, and wait it out a little. I usually give each of my spots a good hour. If no action at all, I'll usually move to a different location. Im fishing much much smaller water then the Miss though. You may want to wait it out even more. Tight Lines and screamin clickers to ya!!

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Arky, fall is the best time to catch the yellowcats. The one in my profile is from the mississippi in the fall, I think it was right around Halloween. Fish deeper holes on outside bends that are straight up and down and fish the scour holes on the wingdikes that have notches. SOmetime give me a yell and we will discuss it a little more.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The advice you have gotten so far is pretty good.. But i have no knowledge of fishing the Mississippi.. And im sorry so few guys responded to your post.. the sight is really great and once you spend some time on here you will get much faster responces and not so many tight lipped people... so let me say Welcome to the BOC.......

9. arky

arky Well-Known Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks guys now after all that response i do feel welcome. I do have to say my son loaded the picture for me since i am not to sharp on the computer but as soon as i land one of these dern big flathead i will be sharing it with you and change my picture. ONE thing i have noticed is there isn't much wood on the lower miss. river mostly dikes,sand and the rock that makes up the channel side of the river so there just isn't much wood to key on . I also want to know if i need to fish exclusively at night or can you catch the rascals in the daylight. Me and a fishing buddy have been fishing some at night on a smaller river but only have small flatties to show for it and not to many on those, and it is full of wood and we are fishing right in the middle of it with bream and live shad but it only averages about 6-12 deep the . Just sometimes a man can't seem to bye a bit!!! Maybe these big flat heads are like big bucks many many trips go bye without getting one?????????? But it is a challenge i won't be giving up until i succeed!

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Arky, you may go 10 or more trips without one but when you get one over 40 its worth it for me. There is some wood in the lower mississippi but you have to really look for it and those concrete banks on outside bends with humps are excellent for big flats. You can catch them during the day in Fall. I would fish the revetment banks at night in close to the bank!!!!!!!!!

11. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    You can also try the bridge pillars.Hit all of them from every angle especially the side behind the current.Alot of times cats will hold there hoping to get an easy meal.Thats where i`ve caught most of my cats...

12. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

Hey master slimcat, I am interested in picking your brain on fall flatheading on the missisisippi river. im fishing in the north, our fall comes lightning fast. infact our water temp now has droped somewere in the neighboorhood of 10 deg in a week!!.

at any rate, my specific question is:day or night. I know night but, I have herd many people talk about fall day flatheading success. any tips??
    our falls night fishing here are misserable. and honestly the misssissippi river is definitly not for everyone. 3am barges, freezing to frosty/ misty am pull outs will question even the die hards.

also big baits verses small, and on a fish that doesnt move fast or far, would you recomend a quick strike, multiple hooks.
    thanks for any advice.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Daytime definetly for me, I would rather be on the river at 6 and off by 7. Those big yellows will be feeding during the day more than ever. Fall is the time. Also I like using big bait, not to big though!!!

14. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Arky,
    I'm new to this site as well. But what I have found is:
    1) this the best darn site for cats
    2) listen to these guys/gals. They have a lot of experience/knowlege.
    3) fish nights/live bait for best success.

I'm in the same boat on the Tenn River. New to me and trying to figure it out.
    Blues are easy. Day and dead bait. Flats are another story.
    Broken Arrow.

15. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

6AM to 7PM?? do you notice any particular times that they bite strongest?like for example 12:00-14:00??

also by not to big, would you consider the ideal bait size 10inches to 14 inches. or bigger. also would you rate bullheads better than suckers durring this time period??
    I have strangely noticed feeding preferences in some streaches of the river and some time periods. For example I would say that a freind of mein has bites only on sheephead in one spot, even though they fish both sucker, and bullheads also. and in another very distant spot chubs seem to do best, yet in another spot bullheads seem best. I have noticed that some weeks only one or the other bait will out catch 3:1..

any thoughts???
    goldenshinner.

16. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

also, I would bet that locating big fall flatties on the mississippi river can be tough. We are fishing the absolute north-most streach that flatheads inhabit of the mississippi river- hear in minneasota. come late augest to mid september our temps drop fast and the bite can be a slow slow one. Unfortunatly on our streach the river is almost featureless. it is just a sandy/mud with ocasional pebble river bottom. not much bends, we do have a few holes, especialy around bridges. our few wing dams are small. our populations are also low. And as I understand there still is some limited comercial harvesting on the river.

yet consistantly someone hooks into that trophy monster that keeps us all in the game. fish in the 48-53" size. I have put in an insain amount of time, and know piles of others who do the same, and it seems that the biggest fish are allways caught by some random local.

at any rate any tips on structure to look for would be helpfull thanks.