Flathead catfish on the GMR

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Bigones, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Has anyone got any faltties from the great miami river yet? I am going to go tonight and see if I have anyluck. I usually don't hit it until the middle of may for flatties but can't wait any longer. Plus I caught 4 of the biggest bullheads I have ever seen yesterday while channelcattin and I am going to use them.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    wheresbouts are you going to be fishing on the GMR?? off the bank, or on a boat

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, you guys have to rub it in huh. I would love to be out there tonight, but looks like it will have to be Sat morning & Sun morning instead.

4. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tonight I am going to be fishing on the bank I sure wish I could somehow manage to get a boat back to this spot. Its between franklin and miamisburg. I have caught so monsters back there over the years. I pulled out a 50+ a few years ago and have hooked some that I think where bigger but couldn't do anything with them from the bank.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    think i know where your going, we call that spot "the canary hole"....got some dude spillin his guts once on the spots he fishes a few years ago. man he was singin like a "canary", thats how we came up with the name. :big_smile: were you one of the guys who used to post pics at Deatons bait shop?

6. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol this spot will make you sing like a canary sometimes. I sure have. I have did real good there. I have spent many hours just cleaning out a spot to where it can be fished. I went back there yesterday just to check it out and wouldn't you know that the river washed the tree that was running perpendicular is now parellel to my spot so now I can't fish it. I spent a few hours down there last night clearing another spot out where I can fish

7. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I have never posted any pics at deatons. If the guy was talking about this spot he was fishing there thanks to me cause you could not fish there until I cut a few trees and limbs out of the way.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Bigones, Heck I think I know the spot and a few years back (3-4) a friend of mine and myself spent a fair amount of time cleaning the banks there as well if its the same spot Im thinking of, ( long walk)
    I fish the riffle above that area a lot for smallies and sight fishing carp with my fly rod in the summer when the water is low.
    To answer your question, no, I havent taken a GMR flattie yet but Dink got one last weekend, a 9 lber, thats the only one i know of locally.
    Water temps yesterday were right at 60-61 so its slowly coming back up but not fast enough....Let us know if you get one ( a flattie)
    Good luck!!

9. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Will do yall are more than welcome to join me tonight. I will prolly be leaving here around 7:30-8:00

10. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Good luck tonight.Hopefully you can get a nice and show some pictures. I hope to get my truck fixed tomorrow so I can hit Hoover on sunday.

11. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well yall just to let you know they are a bitin. Did I catch any no Did I hook any yes I had 3 but yall remember that tree I was telling you about well thats where they were at and thats where after I hooked them they went strait to. I had some Huge bullheads I bet they weighed 2lbs and they tore them up. I took my wife with me so I would have someone to talk to and when I layed the coles to the first one it bent my Bigcat in half she was screaming don't break your pole LOL. That was the last thing on my mind I was trying to turn him before he got me tangled. She said I never seen a pole bend like that. Fellers it was a big dog it broke my heart. I had two more do the same but they where not nearly as big I got them turned but now with this tree turned this way I can't do nothin with them I need to get in there with a boat. If I had a little jonboat I could prolly carry it down somewhere but it would have to be a small boat that you could carry. Man that sucks but its fishin gotta love it.

12. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i went out fri night with one of my cat rods spooled with 10 pound mono and ended up hooking what would have been my largest river flattie after 15 minuete fight finally got in a log jam it was a 40+ fish and it made me sick to loose it. got it on a 7 in bluegill while flippin