Flathead catfish on the Atchafalaya River?

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by nightrider, Aug 3, 2006.

1. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Anyone got any tips (bait,depth, areas of the river) for catching Flatheads on the Atchafalaya river. I know there are some nice cats to be caught out of the river. I know a couple of people that catch on trotlines ,as much as 3000#s in a year. But I'm looking to catch some on rod and reel. I'm also new to the BOC and look forward to sharing the wealth of information the BOC offers.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I havre not fished there but feel like you that there should be some good fish there. Hopefully someone familure with the area will help you out.

3. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Larry. Where do you fish and which species do you target? I gave up on the Bass and have been strictly catfishing for a couple of years now. I just started to target flatheads within the last couple of months. I've caught two so far in Bayou Cocordrie near I-49 and Hwy-29 intersection.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have not been out fishing for quite some time. My wife is my fishing partner and she has a skin condition that has not allowed her to get out in the son. I had two good places to go bank fishing but they have posted both of them so there is no longer any fishing there. Not being from this area it is hard to find good places to go bank fishing. I have a boat but twisted my knee a couple mounths back so have not taken it out, just too hard on me and don't like to take it out alone. We live in Abbeville right now but are in the process of moveing to Marksville. Purching property there with a nice pond on it for catfishing and will be fishing on the red river. Where are you located at.

5. nightrider

nightrider New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I live in the Village of Chataignier, it is located near Ville Platte. If your wife can not be exsposed to the sun the two of you should try Dubisson(take they rest area exit just north of Washington,La) lake at night the bank has plenty of lighting and the lake has good quality fishing for crappie and catfish. I have not tried for any crappie but I seen them caught on shiners from the bank. I go for the channel and blues that the lake holds. Bring you some fresh chicken liver. Facing north you will want to fish to the right of the launch. There is an old creek that runs somewhere in that area of the first point on the right. This is were I fish. If I'm using liver I usally catch 5-10 eating size cats (14" to 20"). Hope you and the Misses can have a good time with the info. Important Notice: This time of year is not the time to go to this lake during the day for fishing.The lake was used to build I-49 and has no stumps or trees making it a favorite of those that enjoy water sking. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Nightrider

6. catdaddyj

catdaddyj New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Good To Hear Someone Talk Or Even Say Atchafalaya. I Am From Patterson ,la. Grew Up Fishing The Atchafalaya And The Basin. Now I Live In Shreveport. Sure Miss The Real Fishing From The Real South

7. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    i here dat im from lafayette and movin to dallas and people here think the lakes here are good fishin but they have no idea.

8. catdaddyj

catdaddyj New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i am from patterson i grew up in the atchafalaya basin. you right fishn aint da same.