flathead catfish on limb lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by z-man, May 24, 2009.

1. z-man

z-man New Member

State:
    north carolina
    can any one tell me how to catch flat heads on limb lines

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The biggest catfish I ever caught was a 30 pound Flathead on a limb line. Live blue gill was the bait of choice.

3. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Limb Lines should be illegal, if you'd see the way they do it in the Fayetteville stretch you'd agree. I've seen guys put out over 100 lines in a 200 yd. stretch of river, then some leave them for days, and the others continously drive up and down the river, which causes issues for those of us who are trying to stay anchored and fish. To top it off, many of these guys turn around and are selling these fish to local which is illegal. These practices are really hurting the population on the Fayetteville stretch. We need to get Catfish classified as gamefish so that there can be a size and creel limit. Who supports this idea? We together can do something about this. I'm not bashing the guy who puts out a couple and takes them when he done fishing, I'm bashing the others who use the practices of those as described above.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Hiram welcome to the BOC it,s a great site for info an to get to meet some great people

heads up to u in N.C. YOU CAN NOT USE A LIVE BAIT ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN A ROD & REEL any fish used for bait on limb line ,jug ,or trott line has to be cut so there in no question it was dead when put on hook; per wildlfe agent

please sign in on nc roll call an check out the nc gathering thread on main page near bottom BOC gatherings

5. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I do not think they need to be outlawed they are fun to us at times .but it,s the outlaws that use them and trot line that need to be caught and fined very heavily ,to make it not worthwhile for them to plunder the fishery for their personal gain

Just me personal opinion ;but u know what they say about opinions ;; [opinions an a--hole everyone has one ]:big_smile:

6. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    The only reason to fish limb lines is for food. And most of the rivers in NC have a pretty decent amount of mercury pollution. So i skip out on limb line fishing for flatheads. Plus they are just so much fun to catch on a rod and reel. Best fight ever.

7. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    done right there isn't a problem with limb lining. The problem you have a few idiots out there making a bad name for everybody that puts them out and gets them back up, and cleans up after they are done. I put out some Saturday and went to picked them up with my 10 year old son, it was a lot of fun. Caught a 4' gar, took some pictures then cleaned them all up off the limbs

8. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im right there with you. Its a lot of fun. I put free meat in the freezer. I clean up all my lines so that next time I have things to use. In Missouri you have to lable all your lines with your name and contact info. + Fishing hooks r not cheep. I dont know about all of you but I work all day and some times dont catch fish between there and dark. Limbs make it all better the next morning.

9. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    im with pete. i cant stand a limb line/trot line, thats left in the water for days on end. it makes me sick to look at them. its terrible here where i fish, they are every where. they dont hang long if i see that they have been there a few days i can promise you that:wink:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're supposed to here in NC as well, but I'd say less than 10% actually do and the fact that there is absolutely no law enforcement on the water in the SE part of the state (the bodies of water I fish anyway) just means that people are going to continually do it without consequence. I would like to see some laws placed on them limiting the number you can set to something reasonable like 15 or 20 but like I said it won't make any difference b/c people are already breaking the laws that are in place so new ones won't matter either.

11. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i can't really understand any other means than rod and reel . i have heard the storys and seen the evidence on the river ever since i started fishing the river about 15 yrs ago i believe i takes a toll on everything in the system. we started a petition at the st judes tourny to try to stop the shock hopefully we can get a ball rolling that will end up protecting the species . if it were not for all the out dated techniqes we would have a hell of a fishiery we are surrounded by them va,tn,sc, all procted their cats and look at the size fish they constantly pull out of their waters and the revenue that it produces in their states also. just bothers me when a fish survives for 30 -40 yrs grows to 50 pounds and falls to a illegal limb line( because about 95% are) or a damn shocker because most of the time it just ends up as fertilizer because most people won't eat a fish that old . just show some buddies and chuck it in the woods . think it don't happen? think again

12. gmenor

gmenor New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I use to limb line about 10 years back. I placed reflector tape on all my limb lines along with numbers so I know how many I have out. I always cleaned up what I had out and cut out ones that were old. More times I have had to clean up other people mess. It a disgrace and eyesore to see the river mistreated this way.

13. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i have to agree with matt and brent ,they should outlaw them ,if you r a fisherman you can catch food on a rod and reel or cane pole ,my opinion your not an angler or a fisherman if you do it any other way ,pete also said how it has killed the cape fear up aroun riverside ,man hit it on the head 10 year ago you can catch nice fish out of there but now its the dead damn sea, but north carolina allows it and doesnt inforce it by no means , i cut em down hell they arent marked they shouldnt be there

14. Jollymon

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Did i read this thread wrong , i understood it to be a simple question about ;how to catch fish on a limb line. Did i miss a part asking if they needed to be outlawed :eek:oooh: .I saw no mention of that in this thread ,i agree it was posted in the wrong area but give him a break he,s a new member.
    As i stated before in this thread the ones that limb line legally have the right to fish with them if they want ,i do at times . It is the illegal ones that need to be caught an fined whether limb lines ,trot lines or any other illegal method.
    Instead of getting on here cutting down another member on the way he wants to fish CALL the wildlife enforcement number which is 1-800-662-7137 and report the viilations ,if they get enough call from a certain area i think they might check it more.

LET,S JUST ALL GET ALONG PLEASE :wink:

15. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sorry dumptruck very sore subject especially here in fayetteville where these practices have seriously damaged the river . your right report them the probem is its so rampant that it would take all the wildlife officers time to try to enforce this when they purposley hide and come out late at night when most are off duty. most ,not all, are abusing their right to limbline. protect the cats ,outlaw these other practices that would eleminate the problem . then maybe i can take my kid fishing and give her the same chance i had to catch a fish of a life time before they are all yanked out on a short leash or left to hang from trees getting back to the thread no dont know anywhere

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I agree that there is no need to ban limb lines all together. Just b/c I don't personally like to do it doesn't mean it's not fishing. It's a traditional practice in the eastern part of the state and a lot of guys have been fishing with limb lines for a LOT longer than most of us have been rod and reel fishing for them. The thing that bothers me is that people do it illegally and nothing seems to get done about it. That's all that really bothers me. There are some guys that limb line and do it responsibly and they shouldn't be punished b/c of other peoples ignorance that is for sure. I'm sure you wouldn't want people who don't fish at all to outlaw ALL fishing would you? The laws just need to be enforced but there is a real lack of law enforcement on fresh water bodies in the east. It's just a tough situation.

17. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with dumptruck, I think the question was how to catch fish on a limb line?

18. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well if the people that are fishing them legal are catching flatheads, somethings not right, because I know that flatheads feed on live bait most of the time, not all of the time but most of the time and fishing limb lines with live bait is not legal. I know for a fact around my area they are using live bait on limb lines pulling out 40 and 50+ flatheads each time the go. I'm with the other guys, it should be managed and enforced if it is going to happen.
    As far as how to catch flatheads on limb lines I wouldn't really know unless you used live bait , which is illegal.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, flatheads bite cut bait just as well as they bite live. If you put a bait near them they will hit it, they can't afford to say "Well in all the books it says I don't eat dead bait, better hope I can find some live bait." They just eat it and continue on. I just think it's a matter of finding the fish, not so much about bait, but that's just my opinion.

20. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    We're definately getting some interesting points of view. I was putting out my opinion regarding limb lines, I know for a fact that there are several in my area who abuse the limb lines, no where did I saw that limb lines couldn't be used a couple at a time, (not a 100) left setting for days, if a family is fishing and wants to put out limb lines a couple for their time on the water then retrieve the fish, then that's ok. However, in the Fayetteville area this isn't occurring. That's why I say a creel, and size limit needs to be implemented, and also stricter enforcement of limb lines, trot lines, and in my opinion from what I've witnessed by some in my area, illegal. I know this is a little contradicting but, when 10 years ago the Fayetteville stretch was an excellent fishery, it's now turned into 5 or 6 fish all night long as a good nite, in the past one could easily catch 20 or more with no problems. BIGGEST THING IS CATFISH NEED TO BE CLASSIFIED AS A GAME FISH! It would ensure our fisheries for our children, and further generations. I know there are some who do obey the laws when limb lining, but there are just as many if not more who don't.