Flathead catfish on Jugs?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CatfishBevo, Jan 31, 2008.

1. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Are there any special tactics to fishing for flatheads with jugs?

Like water dept?

CatfishBevo

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    My favorite is live sunfish.

3. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have never tried for Flathead on jugs, but I have caught many Channel cat on jugs. I want to try it this year. I would set them out near brush piles in shallows, that were adjacent to deeper water, at night. Shallow is a relevant term. It could be anywhere from 3 to 10 feet or more of water. I would also try some creek beds, in deeper water, in the daytime. Flathead catfish will lay in these underwater ditches in the daytime. You will have to keep on your jugs. Live bait will try to find somewhere to hide, and tangle your lines. Please release these fish to fight another day.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    There s a reason why people don't fish for flats with jugs. When hooked thier not going to run in open water like bluecats. Thier going to head to first structure they can find. And with a nomal jugger with 1000 jugs out, your not going ot be able to keep up with all the jugs. By the time you do reach them thier going to be buired deep in structure ans probley wouldn't be able to get them out. So now you;ve lost a jug and killed a hell of a sportfish. Try it with rod and reel, it's alot more fun and more sportsman like. Flatheads are not as easy to catch as blues and channels. You have to really hunt them down, it takes alot of skill and patience. Something most juggers don't have.

5. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    1000 jugs :doubt:. I don't think he plans on using that many. Here we go again, with the jug fishing and trotlining not being sportsman like :sad2:. I can see if you are doing something illegal, but come on. As long as he obeys the laws of his state, what is the problem? You can use only 2 or 3 jugs, and have a lot of fun. What is the difference of catching them on a jug, or on a rod and reel with heavy line? I have had fish wrap up in snags on rod/reel, what is the difference? In a boat with a jug, you might be able to pull them loose from a snag. You would have just as much chance of getting them loose, as you would with a rod/reel. In Ohio you have to follow your jugs. I drift behind them in a small aluminum boat. When I get a fish on, I paddle or motor (trolling motor) up to it. I scoop the jug up by placing the landing net over it and twisting it back over. That catches the jug, and gives me time to grab it. When you grab a jug and line that is 4-8 feet long and fight a lively catfish at arms length, believe me it is fun :big_smile:. Like I have said before, I don't keep any Flathead that I catch on rod/reel (never tried to catch any on jug - yet). I don't really keep any catfish at all, whether I catch them on rod/reel or jug. CatfishBevo, If you want to try jugging for Flathead catfish, I say go for it. I will be trying it myself this year. Just obey your state laws, have fun and release those big fish to fight another day.

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    use circle hooks with 3 way swivels and bank sinkers on or close to the bottom.it will work.

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Read your state rules on jugging. You are limited to the amount you can use. On big rivers there are chutes that go around/behind islands. The corps try to dam these off with rock dikes and pilons. During low water these are like deep locked in lakes were the water gos over them. Try there if you can get to them. Your jugs will stay more put. Fish at night with a livebait. Green sunfish are about the best I've used.

8. texasrecurve

texasrecurve New Member

State:
    texas
    Use big live bluegills.

TR

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A few years back i threw out a handfull of jugs in beaver lake after baiting my trotlines. Next mornin I ran everything but the jugs. At the last one i picked up the jug an began rolling it up,,,and all hell broke loose. Flathead about 20lbs. was actually layin on a shelf i wasn't aware of and took off with me trying to wind up the jug. It was one of my first times to set jugs and things got very exciting when it left that shelf. Get the net!!!

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jugging can be fun. if you have a cruse ship with enough room for 1000 jugs hire help.,lol.

but seriously most use a few. i did it once but had no luck. in the lake i fish most you must be in the area with your jugs. and ive lost a ton of fish on rod and reel due to structure. i cant wait to run lines this season. fact i just might run then everytime someone says it ait sportsman like.:wink: and mine will be eaten.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont have much experience with this but welcome to the b.o.c. there are many great areas to look for this info. ill help ya with a few areas.

this is the library. there are many great articles in there and you may find one on this subject. click on link below.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576

here are some member articles. there may be some info here.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=181

there are many folks with may different views and opinions on the b.o.c. there are die hard catch and release . there are rod and reel only. there is good old fashoned do alls (like me) run bank lines once in a while jug a time or two, and clean and eat my catch lots of times. i also toss back females in spring full of eggs but a lot of my channels get ate. dont feel pressured by anyones views just take it all with a grain of salt brother. glad to have ya aboard. hope ya find som info among the other conmments. we gotta remember this is a catfish board. all views should be accepted. not just our own.

12. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Hey ya'll, I'm new to the site and very excited about learning more from some of the old pros.
    I was wondering if folks ever jug fish in fairly swift rivers. I thought maybe I could anchor the jugs with enough weight where the fish couldn't pull them too far, but not too much where the fish could rip the hook out. I live on a big river in Iowa with holes 20 ft deep are not uncommon and I enjoy throwing trot lines out, but I thought jugs could be another way to try to scout out new areas for trot lines/rod and real. Thanks!

13. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    MVFB52,
    Check your state laws. I looked at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources web site and didn't find any problems with it. Ohio says "Floats must be freely adrift". You might want to take a look at it yourself. You don't want to be breaking any laws. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but you would probably be working your butt off chasing them. I probably wouldn't try it in really fast current. Check this out below. It might work for you. I think that, I need to contact the Ohio DNR and see if they consider this a jug float or a trotline? I would like to use this in the lakes, on a real windy day. Floats are used on trotlines, to mark their presence for boaters and skiers. I don't see what the difference is, but I am not about to risk a ticket over what I think should be right. Don't take any chances. Good fishing.

[​IMG]

14. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
  15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't offer any advice about jugging for flatheads on lakes, but on rivers, I'd stay with anchored jugs. I've been jugging the Arkansas River for almost 25 years, and I've yet to catch a flathead over 2# on a jug that was floating down with the current. Now, I've caught several on jugs that got hung up, which is why I'd go with anchored jugs.
    How much would an anchor have to weigh before a 50#-60# cat couldn't drag it off to deeper water? I don't know, but I do know that I don't want to be the one having to pull that sucker up every time I check my jug. Back when I was trotlining a lot, I often had lines out on flats where there was no structure to tie to, so I used old tire rims. Those are hard enough to get in that you have to use heavy rope on the last section of mainline so that the line doesn't cut into your fingers. With that large a weight I can see only two options: get a fishing buddy that's really strong and really dumb, or get one of those powered capstan type anchor/sail pullers you see on large sailboats. My solution? Use a reasonable size anchor; I use a 2# weight and a 2-liter jug. Roughly speaking, the jug should be able to float two anchors. This is so that when a fish does drag the anchor into deeper water, the jug still floats enough to be spotted.

16. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    thanks jtrew, I will certainly be giving that a try this spring. I will be spending the next few months creating my jugs and rigs!

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just be sure to check the regs for your state, and the particular waters you'll be jugging on. It's to be expected that there would be major differences in the regs between various states, but some (many?) states vary their own regs within their own state. For example, in Arkansas, freefloating jugs must be 'attended' at all times during daylight hours, but may be left alone at night; anchored jugs, however, are only required to be checked once a day, just like trotlines. Some Fish & Game lakes allow jugging, while others do not. Here in Little Rock, below the dam & powerhouse, there's a spit of land about 500-600 yards long between the main part of the river and the discharge of the powerhouse. Jugging is legal on the river side, but not on the discharge side down to the end of the spit of land. What's even weirder is that on the discharge side, you are allowed to use only one rod at a time; on the river side, you can have as many as you want. Oh well, we don't have to understand the regs, just obey them.

18. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    As far as I can tell, it seems to be legal in Iowa. They are pretty stingy though: 2 jugs with a 2 hook limit! However, if a were to attach a line to the bank some how it would then be a trotline and I can have five more with 15 hooks a piece. I am going talk to a dnr officer next time I see him and ask him about it to make sure I have everything straight because I was only able to find this out through other forums! The IA fishing regulation book doesn't say hardly a word about jugs...

19. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have fished for them with jugs on some back rivers, off of the mississppi, and have had some luck, as long as you are able to get to them quickly, anothre way to fish for them with jugs is to have a heavy wait to anchor the jug, that way the flats arent able to run when they get caught, just some thoughts, but if you arent interested insnchoring your jugs, then I would try finding a large creek or small river off of the main river, and fish at night as the flats tend to get out of their cover and hunt at this time. The reason is flats prefer less current and can be caught in the main cchannels of these creeks and small rivers.

20. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like jugging for flats in the spring,mainly because I can catch them about 2-5 ft.deep.Most of my jugs only have about 3' of line on them and 1 hook. The others have about 10' and 2 hooks.I use 2 1/2 gal jugs from Braums.For hooks I like 8/0 or 10/0 kahle hooks. I always use a 16oz water or pop bottle full of sand for a weight.These are tied to a 12' 10 lb test mono leader in case the cat does hang up your weight,and they are cheap. Just some ideas to try and help. Allen