Flathead catfish on dip baits?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Believer, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I talked to a guy yesterday that told me he recently caught a 5 lb flattie on some dip bait. Have any of you ever heard of or done this?

Eric

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I watched a man catch a 20 on Sonny's blew my mind.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I've never heard of that happening....Don't think I'll go out and try it either lol :big_smile_2:

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I've heard of it but never done it. Used to fish Sonnys, Ol Whiskers and Bowkers a lot a few years back and I never caught any flatheads on it.I read on here that it is done now and then though but I'll stick to live (0r at least very fresh ) fish when I'm flathead hunting.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I know a carp fisherman who caught a 1lb flathead on canned corn. So if they would eat corn, I'm sure they would eat something stinky like dip bait.
    Alot of things happen!

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've Never Done It But I Guess It Could Happen

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    * I've caught a 10lber last year on a dead night crawler.
    * I think the flatties will be opportunistic when the food is few and far between.
    ~ Anything is possible... :roll_eyes:

8. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I cuaght a largemouth on chicken liver in a pond one time.
    he hit it on the fall.

9. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I caught a 23# flathead this fall while fishing for channels with cut-up suckers. I had a piece of the body and the head on. Maybe the head triggered the hit?

10. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Tried dip worms before..used Catfish Charlie's dip bait and a few other dip baits...can't remember what flavors they were...caught a few channels on it...all around 1lb...never caught anything big...don't like the dip baits...gotta use a stick or something and push ur worm/sponge down into the bait then spread it over the worm/sponge...too much work for the luck i had using it...just stick to "natural baits" now

11. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Never been that lucky,most of my yellow cat catches come on live bait.
    Rod:sad2:

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have been told the reason for catchin flatheads on any type of cutbait or dipbaits is that crawfish or smaller fish will be nibblin on the bait and the flathead hits them and gets hooked.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen baby flatheads caught on everything from crawdads and chicken liver to roostertail spinners and crappie jigs. i think small flatheads eat wahtever they can get, but once they get to a respectful size livebait or fresh cutbait are your best bets. you always hear about the big ones getting caught on dipbait or something else out of the ordinary, but if you stick to what's known to work you get better size and numbers.

14. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I only remember catching 1 small flathead on dip bait. I've caught a few carp and white bass on dip bait worms as well. I think the whites hit the colored worm since I fishing below a dam.

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    its better to use either live or cut fish for bait. Leave the dipbaits for channels.LOL