flathead catfish on cutbait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wormybass3, Jul 13, 2009.

1. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    now i thought flats mostly only liked live bait.i have caught a few on fresh dead shad below dams in a current and just figured they made a mistake.
    but a fellow fisherman caught a nice 20# on cutbait yesterday.i reckon if they are hungry they will eat.

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    first of all welcome to the boc billy--yes flatties will eat what every bait they fell like eating if it cut bait or live bait

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009

3. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    yea it doesnt matter wat it is if it cant get away they'll eat it. oh yea welcome to the BOC!

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They seem to take fresh cut shad pretty often from my experience. I even caught one fishing for channels with frozen shrimp LOL.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    In the ohio river I only use fresh cut skipjack for flats and alot of times they have out fished live goldfish and other live baits. But anywhere else I use live bait.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the BOC,,I've caught a few with cut bait ,but most of them has been on live bait.

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    most of my experience has been flats hitting fresh cut bait on the Ohio River. Live Bait is my preference every where else but I am beginning to wonder if I should just use all cut in general. Had some runs on live bait, but they seem to really not care too much and will go for the cut.

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also use to be a live bait only person, BUT last year I started using more cut bait and catching more fish off of it than live bait.:wink:

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH

i actually will fish cutbait most of the time and the pieces are usually the size of a baseball. So that really kinda narrows down the bait i use:wink:

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Bluegill heads have outproduced live so far this year for me. Last 2 fish were on live though so things may be changing. I almost always fish both.

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m experimenting with more cut this year.I,ll form an opinion at the end of the season.I,ve always been a live bait man,but the day you quit looking for something new,it might be time to hang up the rods!:eek:oooh:

12. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I hear u on that,there is always something to learn.
    As for my personal experince,I have caught more small flatheads(under 5lbs)on cut bait than larger models,however the channel cats in my area just hammer the cut gillies.I even get quite a few large channels on live gills.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish cut shad just about 100 percent of the time, all my flatheads come on it...The channels seem to leave it alonr in my river, but the dang turtles can be a problem.

14. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use both but most have come off of live. I did catch my pb flathead last saturday on a smashed bluegill. That flatty weighed 32.70. My biggest on live was on a goldfish and it was 27.

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ive caught my biggest flattie on live bream, but have caught a 30lb one on bream head. but most of the ones i catch on cut baits are juviniles or caught fishing in the current for blues, i think after the spawn they will eat about anything building thier fat reserve back up, but after that they go back to their ambush predator ways most of the time, and i catch 95 percent of them on live bream, but i still always got a large bream head or two out there!!!

16. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Live or dead large creek chubs for me.:big_smile:

17. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I catch most of my flatheads on fresh cut shad. Lot easier than having to keep bluegills and suckers alive, too.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    All of my flatties this year excpet for a few, have hit on cut bait. They seems to especially like the fresh cut heads.

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've caught fish on both live and cut bluegill my biggest fish came on live though:wink:

20. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    while I prefer live sunfish, bullheads and small carp, I have had them eat cut bait while fishing for blue cats. One afternoon I had a strange thing happen, two largemouth bass on cut up suckers. I think a fish will eat what ever it wants.