flathead catfish on crickets

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pendernator, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    i caught a flathead suspended on a cricket in still water fishing for bluegill is this normal.

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    You may catch a flat Head any were and any time.
    Its when you're looking for them that there hard to find!
    :big_smile_2:​

3. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Thats a new one for me,never heard of it.Heard of catching bait(bluegillz) with crickets to fish for flatheads.Btw,how big was the flathead,I would assume small?Smallest flat I have ever seen was about 4",my buddy got it with a piece of shrimp.Cutest little flat i have seen.

4. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    ya i kinda figured it was a random occurence

5. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    he was 21 inches long and weighed about 5 1/2 lbs

6. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    That is a chunky fish to take a cricket,but they are oppurtunists I guess.Heck Ive had 5lb flattys choke down blugills close to 1lb before.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gotten em on minners and stuff fishen for crappi and gills. They are real hunters the lil ones we got one this year 6 inches long or so on a beetle spin

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah the smaller ones are weird, I've only caught 4 my whole life and I wasnt fishing for them. Caught 1 when I was 17 in the mississippi in minnesota on a crayfish colored rapala (3 lbs), caught 1 in 2007 in the mississippi in illinois on a glow worm (2.5), caught another in 2007 on a shad colored rapala in illinois on the sipp(3 lbs) and caught 1 in 2007 in Texas on a large resevoir on a dead medium minnow (10lbs) and the last one we sat from like 1am to 3am with no bite, I was sleep on the boat in like 20 feet of water not even expecting it. But it was fun, it was an ultra light with 10lb power pro and that was the best fight I've ever had with a fish

9. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    ya it was pretty neat to catch this was on an ultralight pole with 6 lb test line:smile2:

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    really!? wow you must have thrown it right in front of it's face. I've never heard of it so that's new to me but congrats anyhow

11. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    it shouldnt surprise me but still does, i think they would hit on about anything if they're hunrgy enough

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Nope It ain't normal; But you are the only person besides my twin bro that has caught a flathead on crickets that I know of, We was fishing for channels ,I was using baby bluegill heads and he was fishing with crickets suspended around 7' when he caught his whopping 48lb fl atty:eek:oooh:.I'll ask and see if he still has a picture of it around somewhere, since this has been about 20yrs ago or better.

I myself wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there to see it with my own eyes:wink: Beautiful fish.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  13. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    ha well that is cool